Bahrain: Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition Statement on Bahrain in Solidarity with Al Khawaja
The Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition (WHRD IC) stands in solidarity with Abdulhadi Al Khawaja and women human rights defenders in Bahrain as they demand democracy, government accountability and an end to the torture and detention of those demanding political change. Al Khawaja is a long opposition and human rights activist who has defended human rights of women for many years. He is in prison serving a life sentence imposed by a military court because of his peaceful anti-government protests and has been on a hunger strike for the past two and a half months. He is now at risk of death. On 23rd April the Court of Cassation decided to postpone the decision on his verdict to 30th April.
The WHRD International Coalition calls for the immediate and unconditional release of Al Khawaja and others in prison for exercising their rights to freedom of expression and association. The government of Bahrain should be held accountable for wrongful detention and persecution of defenders peacefully exercising their rights, as well as for the torture of Al Khawaja.
The Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition (WHRD IC) is a resource and advocacy network for the protection and support of women human rights defenders worldwide.
This statement has been endorsed by:
- Turkey: International intellectuals call on the Turkish government to desist from its repression of popular protest
- Iran's 'Zahra' Tells Alternate Tale Of Presidential Campaign
- Tunisia: European Women go on Trial for Topless Protest
- India: Divorce dictates dire conditions for Muslim women
- Afghanistan: $2,500: The Value of a 6 year-old Afghan Girl.
- Sudan: Female lawyer detained, risks torture!
- Sudan: Khadija Mohamed Badr Health Deteriorating in Detention
- Sudan: Sudanese WHRDs In Egypt Receive Death Threats
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- SUDAN: Layla Ibrahim Issa - Another woman sentenced to death by stoning. Take action now!
- Symposium Report: The Role of Sport in Resisting, Accommodating and in Remaking Muslim Women
- Egypt: Combined sixth and seventh periodic reports to CEDAW
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- Occasional Paper 15: Iraq Women's Rights Under Attack
- WSF: The Model Parliament for family law reform: A signiﬁcant step towards linking women’s issues with national concerns