Bahrain: Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition Statement on Bahrain in Solidarity with Al Khawaja
The Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition (WHRD IC) stands in solidarity with Abdulhadi Al Khawaja and women human rights defenders in Bahrain as they demand democracy, government accountability and an end to the torture and detention of those demanding political change. Al Khawaja is a long opposition and human rights activist who has defended human rights of women for many years. He is in prison serving a life sentence imposed by a military court because of his peaceful anti-government protests and has been on a hunger strike for the past two and a half months. He is now at risk of death. On 23rd April the Court of Cassation decided to postpone the decision on his verdict to 30th April.
The WHRD International Coalition calls for the immediate and unconditional release of Al Khawaja and others in prison for exercising their rights to freedom of expression and association. The government of Bahrain should be held accountable for wrongful detention and persecution of defenders peacefully exercising their rights, as well as for the torture of Al Khawaja.
The Women Human Rights Defenders International Coalition (WHRD IC) is a resource and advocacy network for the protection and support of women human rights defenders worldwide.
This statement has been endorsed by:
- Bahrain: Family violence law articles approved
- Sultan of Brunei threatens his citizens following online criticism of Sharia law plan
- Iran: 'Jila Baniyaghoob | Prisoner Of Conscience In Iran'
- Saudi women flood social media with driving videos, pictures
- Saudi Arabia: Women Activists' Sentences Confirmed
- Urgent Action: Free Maryam Shafi’pour!
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- For immediate release: Statement on the arrest of Wajeha Al-Huwaider and Fawzia Al-Oyouni and the persecution of human rights activists in Saudi Arabia
- Kenya: Protect girls by enforcing FGM and child marriage laws
- Sudan: Darfuri Activist in Detention for 6 months without charges!