Jalila Khamis formally charged and faces EXECUTION!
On December 13th, 2012 after 9 months in detention with charges, Jalila Khamis , the Nuba woman activist has been presented to court today, facing serious charges that could lead to her execution. Today, Jaila had been formally charged for undermining the constitutional system under article 50 , waging war against the state under article 51,"Espionage against the country” under article 53,“joint criminal act” under article 21, and under article 66 of “publication of false news”- all these charges fall under the Sudanese criminal law of 1991. The court hearing took place in the Khartoum north courts .Due to the absence of witnesses the judge adjourned the court hearing to the 18th of December.
Jalia Khamis is a 45 year-old mother of five , teacher and a Nuba women human rights defender. She was arrested on March 14th, 2012 at 2:00AM from her house and taken wearing her sleeping clothes. Her family didn’t know her whereabouts for two days as the Sudanese security had concealed the location of her detention. Whilst in detention, Jalila has been subjected to torture, verbal abuse, and been put in solitary confinement in Omdurman for 2 and half month.
In the past two weeks she had been transferred to the regular prison at the Omdurman women prison where she finally had the chance to connect with the outside world after 4 month of detention and investigation, which led to her developing health problems including, high blood pressure.
The Sudanese WHRD’s Project and Arry organization for human rights call on the Sudanese Government to respect Jalila’s right to access lawyers and respect the international standards of justice and ensure Jalila a fair, just and public trial .We also call on them to ensure her full access to proper healthcare.
To take action , please send appeals to the Sudanese authorites and sign and disseminate the AVAAZ petition below:
Sign the 'Free Jalila Khamis and Save Her from Execution' Petition:
PLEASE SEND APPEALS TO:
HE Omar Hassan Ahmad Al Bashir
Office of the President
People’s Palace PO Box 281
Fax: +249 183 782 541
Salutation: Your Excellency
Minister of Justice
Mohammed Bushara Dousa
Ministry of Justice, PO Box 302
Al Nil Avenue
Fax: +249 183 764 168
Email : email@example.com
Salutation: Your Excellency
And copies to:
Minister of Interior
Ibrahim Mohamed Hamed
Ministry of Interior
PO Box 873
Also send copies to diplomatic representatives accredited to your country
- Afghanistan: Parliament fails to pass divisive women's law
- Morocco: Women battle against domestic abuse
- Bangladesh: Islamists Demand that Bangladesh's Women Stay at Home
- Afghanistan: Woman killed for “dishonouring” family
- Lebanon: Workshop on "Masculinity and ending Violence Against Women in the Middle East and Abroad"
- A Pakistani born Canadian Victim's Appeal for Help!
- Egypt: Postpone the 15 December referendum on the draft Constitution!
- Pakistan: Killing of NGO worker Farida Afridi in Jamrud Tehsil of Khyber Agency
- Afghanistan: End the Unlawful Criminalisation of Women and Girls Based on 'Moral Grounds'
- UPDATE: Iran: Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani's still faces death sentence while Brazil makes formal offer of asylum