Pakistan: Imposition of Martial Law - Arrests and detention of civilian activists and lawyers
There have also been reported instances of harassment of family members of civil society activists and lawyers by the law enforcement agencies.
Today (November 6), activists who were arrested at the JAC meeting, have had their bails approved after submission of individual sureties from families and friends but they have not yet been released. They have also been bound to not take part in any demonstration or protest in future.
The lawyers have been arrested under multiple offences; under Sections 186, 353 of Pakistan Penal Code (PPC) (providing punishment for assault or criminal force to obstruct public servant in discharge of functions-bailable), Section 324 of PPC (attempt to intentional murder-non bailable) and Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 (non bailable). There are fears that they will be punished with imprisonment up to ten years. The hearing in the Anti-Terrorism Court has not been held yet and the hearing will only be restricted to the lawyers directly involved in charges.
The Pakistani Government is strictly controlling access to electronic media and private TV channels, including international media, have been strictly barred from broadcasting within the country. Large proportion of the Pakistani population can not access electronic media for updates on the situation.
- Pakistan's once-ridiculed transgender community fight elections for first time
- Pakistan: Far from home but closer to school
- Pakistan: Women and Social Networks
- Pakistan: Statement issued by the Women Action Forum (WAF), Karachi, following the attack on Shia residents of Abbas Colony
- Bahrain: Interview with Maryam al-Khawaja "The Regime Oppresses All Bahrainis".
- Sudan: Female lawyer detained, risks torture!
- Sudan: Khadija Mohamed Badr Health Deteriorating in Detention
- A Pakistani born Canadian Victim's Appeal for Help!
- Sudan: Sudanese WHRDs In Egypt Receive Death Threats
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!