UPDATE: Iran: Further arrests of women's rights activists working on the 'One Million Signatures Campaign'
Zeinab Peyqambarzadeh, an active youth member of the “One Million Signatures” campaign, was arrested yesterday for her participation in a peaceful protest on March 4. She reported to the Revolutionary Court after receiving a summons, where she was then arrested and transferred to Evin prison. Her father and lawyer attempted to post the set bail of 20 million toumans (about $27,000), but the court refused to accept the bail and would not authorize Peyqambarzadeh’s release.
Two other women’s rights activists, Maryam Hosseinhkah and Fatemeh Govaraie, were also summoned to court for their role in the March 4 protest. The peaceful protest was staged in objection to increasing pressure on the Iranian women’s movement and efforts to curb activities aimed at raising awareness of discriminatory laws against women.
Source: Women's Learning Partnership
Please see our 'Calls for Action' page for further background and information on the wave of repression and persecution of women's human rights defenders from 2006 to date.
Submitted on Tue, 05/08/2007 - 00:00
- WE MUST PRESSURE IRAN TO RELEASE CANADIAN ACADEMIC HOMA HOODFAR
- 'Islamic' Chair Cover Gets Iranian Activist In Trouble
- Iranians Love Volleyball, But Half The Population Can't Attend Matches
- UN Special Rapporteur in Field of Cultural Rights on the Paris Attacks: “Crime against humanity, crime against culture”
- What ISIS has done to the lives of women
- ACTION ALERT: Dr. Homa Hoodfar
- Raise Your Voice Against the 'Protection of the Family' Resolution
- Drop the terrorism charges against Silan Ozcelik
- Saudi Arabia: Release Maysaa Alamoudi and Loujain Alhathloul
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Position Statement on Apostasy and Blasphemy
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Too Young to Wed
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran