UPDATE: Iran: Further arrests of women's rights activists working on the 'One Million Signatures Campaign'
Zeinab Peyqambarzadeh, an active youth member of the “One Million Signatures” campaign, was arrested yesterday for her participation in a peaceful protest on March 4. She reported to the Revolutionary Court after receiving a summons, where she was then arrested and transferred to Evin prison. Her father and lawyer attempted to post the set bail of 20 million toumans (about $27,000), but the court refused to accept the bail and would not authorize Peyqambarzadeh’s release.
Two other women’s rights activists, Maryam Hosseinhkah and Fatemeh Govaraie, were also summoned to court for their role in the March 4 protest. The peaceful protest was staged in objection to increasing pressure on the Iranian women’s movement and efforts to curb activities aimed at raising awareness of discriminatory laws against women.
Source: Women's Learning Partnership
Please see our 'Calls for Action' page for further background and information on the wave of repression and persecution of women's human rights defenders from 2006 to date.
Submitted on Tue, 05/08/2007 - 00:00
- Iran: Proposed laws reduce women to ‘baby making machines’ in misguided attempts to boost population
- Making Law and Justice Work for Women
- It is too simple to reduce religious motives to mere pretexts for violence – New report
- Afghanistan: Prominent female politician and 'brave voice' Angeza Shinwari dies after car bomb attack
- Iran's Women's Affairs Chief Feels Powerless To Act
- Saudi Arabia: Release Maysaa Alamoudi and Loujain Alhathloul
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Support KMEWO in demanding Justice for Dunya!
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- A Former Child Bride is Hanged and Denied Her Last Wish to See Her Daughter
- Too Young to Wed
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran
- Discrimination Against Women in Bahraini Society and Legislation
- Early and Forced Marriage in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Women's Rights and Transitions to Democracy: An Annotated Bibliography