UPDATE: Iran: Further arrests of women's rights activists working on the 'One Million Signatures Campaign'
Zeinab Peyqambarzadeh, an active youth member of the “One Million Signatures” campaign, was arrested yesterday for her participation in a peaceful protest on March 4. She reported to the Revolutionary Court after receiving a summons, where she was then arrested and transferred to Evin prison. Her father and lawyer attempted to post the set bail of 20 million toumans (about $27,000), but the court refused to accept the bail and would not authorize Peyqambarzadeh’s release.
Two other women’s rights activists, Maryam Hosseinhkah and Fatemeh Govaraie, were also summoned to court for their role in the March 4 protest. The peaceful protest was staged in objection to increasing pressure on the Iranian women’s movement and efforts to curb activities aimed at raising awareness of discriminatory laws against women.
Source: Women's Learning Partnership
Please see our 'Calls for Action' page for further background and information on the wave of repression and persecution of women's human rights defenders from 2006 to date.
Submitted on Tue, 05/08/2007 - 00:00
- Universal Periodic Review: JFI Submission on Human Rights Abuses Based on Sex, Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
- Iran says woman sentenced to stoning given "leave" from prison
- Fed up with Iran's draconian dress code, women flout the rules - report
- Islamic Republic football officials and gender-based discrimination against female athletes
- Iran: 'Jila Baniyaghoob | Prisoner Of Conscience In Iran'
- A Former Child Bride is Hanged and Denied Her Last Wish to See Her Daughter
- URGENT ACTION: Iran: A former child bride faces execution by hanging
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- For immediate release: Statement on the arrest of Wajeha Al-Huwaider and Fawzia Al-Oyouni and the persecution of human rights activists in Saudi Arabia
- Urgent Call to Denounce Sudanese State Violence
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran
- Discrimination Against Women in Bahraini Society and Legislation
- Early and Forced Marriage in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Women's Rights and Transitions to Democracy: An Annotated Bibliography
- No Democracy without Women's Equality: Middle East and North Africa