UPDATE: Iran: Stop the stoning to death of Mokarrameh Ebrahimi
This could soon happen to Mokarrameh Ebrahimi, Jafar Kiani's partner, too, unless we act now!
The SSF campaign was launched in 2006 with the goal of abolishing the law of stoning as a legal form of punishment for adultery. The campaign lawyers volunteered to defend more than a dozen prisoners sentenced to stoning whom they had identified in different prisons. The campaign also revealed that Mahboubeh H. and Abbas H. had been stoned secretly and under a heavy security guard in Mashhad in May 2006. The judicial authorities, however, kept denying that stoning was practiced.
After the stoning of Jafar Kiani was carried out in a remote village, the judiciary officials now state that they are bound by the law* to practice stoning. As stoning is becoming less of a covert action and a shame to the judiciary officials, the SSF campaign is concerned that Mokarrameh Ebrahimi might be stoned next in a town square.
We are asking the public to help save Mokarrameh from stoning. She is in imminent danger because as long as stoning is legal, there will always be a judge that will act independently disregarding the order to ban stoning, and a crowd who will throw stones, and a denial statement by the judiciary spokesman regarding either the practice or its atrocity.
The stoning sentence of Mokarrameh could be carried out any day, and so could the sentence of ten other people. And since there is no law to impede stoning, we are reaching out to the public.
*To see the text of the judiciary spokesman interview, please visit:
To see a report of Asieh Amini's trip to Takistan after the stoning, see:
To see the current list of stoning victims, please see:
You can read the text of the Islamic Penal Code of Iran and the ritual of stoning here:
- Mynamar: Kristallnacht in Myanmar
- Afghanistan: $2,500: The Value of a 6 year-old Afghan Girl.
- Iran: Za’feran Mohamaadi Murdered by her Family Members, Witnessed by Bystanders
- International: The Ethics of Alliance and Solidarity: An Exchange Between Rafia Zakaria and Meredith Tax
- Pakistan: Statement issued by the Women Action Forum (WAF), Karachi, following the attack on Shia residents of Abbas Colony
- Sudan: New arrests of Nuba activists!
- Sudan: Sudanese WHRDs In Egypt Receive Death Threats
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- SUDAN: Layla Ibrahim Issa - Another woman sentenced to death by stoning. Take action now!
- Pakistan: Killing of NGO worker Farida Afridi in Jamrud Tehsil of Khyber Agency