UPDATE: Pakistan: Letter to UN Special Rapporteurs Urging Action Against Martial Law
WLUML's letter to UN Special Rapporteurs and UN Human Rights Bodies expresses our alarm and grave concern regarding the mass arrests, ill-treatment and flagrant violations of the human rights of members of the judiciary, the legal profession and civil society that is currently taking place in Pakistan. We urge them to appeal to General Musharraf to restore the constitution, the judiciary, the media, and to end all arrests and violence against peaceful protests.
Since General Pervaiz Musharraf’s imposition of emergency rule on 3 November 2007 there have been daily reports of judges, lawyers, activists, opposition figures and general citizens being arbitrarily and, we believe, unlawfully detained under provisions that allow detention without charge or trial, held incommunicado and at risk of maltreatment, and even torture, by government security forces.
Submitted on Sat, 11/10/2007 - 01:00
- Egypt: Press Release by the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders on the Appeal Verdict in the Case of Yara Sallam and Sanaa Seif
- Prominent Women Human Rights Defender Esraa Abdel-Fattah Banned From Traveling Outside Egypt
- Bangladesh: Government plans to relocate camps cause fear and anxiety among Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
- North Africa: Racism, sexism and violence against sub-Saharan African migrant women
- Honour killing: Four get death for lynching pregnant woman in Lahore
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- KURDISH WOMAN LOSING SIGHT IN IRANIAN PRISON
- Shirkat Gah Newsheet March 2015
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- Only Until the Rice is Cooked? The Domestic Violence Act, Familial Ideology, and Cultural Narratives in Sri Lanka
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR