URGENT ACTION: Call on States to Support UN Resolution on WHRDs
There is less than a week before the draft resolution will come up for adoption.
The following States have co-sponsored the resolution so far:
Armenia, Argentina, Australia, Canada, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, EU, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay, Jordan, Lebanon, Vanuatu, Bosnia Herzegovina, Albania, FYR Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, USA, New Zealand.
But push back continues on several aspects of the text, including:
- the inclusion of references to gender
- explicit reference to WHRDs working to promote sexual and reproductive health, reproductive rights and matters related to sexuality
- several States are pushing for the inclusion of more references to the 'responsibilities' of human rights defenders.
Over 70 African civil society organisations have signed an open letter to the Africa Group urging them to support all aspects of the resolution
We need to keep urging States to support the resolution!
Now would be the time to:
- follow up your prior contacts with State representatives particularly at Foreign Ministries, urging them to instruct their UN missions to support the resolution
- contact National Human Rights Institutions: encourage them to urge the State to support the resolution
- outreach to fellow civil society organisations - encourage them to add their voice in support of the resolution
We are calling on States to support a resolution that:
- acknowledges the vital role all women human rights defenders play in our societies
- outlines specific protection measures States should put in place to ensure the protection of women human rights defenders
- makes specific reference to the fact that women human rights defenders who work on sexual and reproductive health, reproductive rights and matters related to sexuality, face particular risks of violations and abuses of their rights
This resolution is about women human rights defenders in our communities who face threats and attacks, often on a daily basis, at the hands of the State and non-State actors. States have an obligation to ensure the promotion and protection of our work, and must stand up and be counted at the UN!
Show your support #protectWHRDs
- CPD47 Statement: It’s Unacceptable for Youth SRHR to be Deemed “too Controversial”
- UN women's rights resolution passed despite backlash
- GOVERNMENTS SHOULD SUPPORT STRONG INTERNATIONAL RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
- Harmful practices against women and girls can never be justified by religion – UN expert
- Women’s participation, leadership crucial to peace processes – UN Security Council
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- UN: Open letter from NGOs to the General Assembly regarding terrorism debate
- UN: Security Council resolution 1373 to combat terrorism
- UN: Reproductive Health Goal Dropped
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- Child, Early and Forced Marriage: A Multi-Country Study.
- Female Genital Mutliation/Cutting: A Statistical Overview and an Exploration of the Dynamics of Change
- Islam, Land, and Property: Muslim Women and Property
- Pathways to, conditions and consequences of incarceration for women
- Summary of information from States Members of the United Nations and other relevant stakeholders on best practices in the application of traditional values while promoting and protecting human rights and upholding human dignity