Three Cheers for Tunisia's Revolutionary Constitution!
Here's just some of what these brave elected representatives agreed upon in the face of strong pressure from the more extreme factions of their parties:
- Guaranteed equality between men and women
- A constitutional mandate for environmental protection, only the third country in the world to do so
- A declaration that health care is a human right, with preventative care and treatment for every citizen
- A democracy with civil laws that respects freedom of religion
- An established right to due process and protection from torture
In one stroke, Tunisia's become more democratic than many Western countries have been for years.
This is a revolution of democracy and a great victory for human rights — and the more we recognize that, the more Tunisia can shine as an example for the Western and the Arab world!
MESSAGE FOR TUNISIAN LEGISLATORS: We , the citizens of the world, applaud your bravery in making a strong commitment to universal human values in your constitution. People deprived of democracy around the world look to you to set the example of human rights and democratic principle — hold true to the promises made in this revolutionary document!
Tunisia Finally Passes Progressive Constitution: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/tunisia-assembly-prepares-vote-charter-22038497
4 Ways Tunisia Is Now More Progressive than the United States: http://thinkprogress.org/security/2014/01/27/3206701/4-ways-tunisia-progressive-america/