WLUML s'inquiète du fait que le premier acte public du Comité national de transition de Libye a été de proclamer, le 23 octobre 2011, l'annulation d'un certain nombre de lois, pour les remplacer par 'la sharia'. Le Comité national de transition de Libye est un gouvernement intérimaire : ce dont il est chargé, et qui aurait dû être sa première action, c'est de mettre en place un mécanisme pour organiser l'élection d'un nouveau gouvernement, après la chute du régime de Kadhafi.
WLUML is deeply concerned that the first public act of the Libya's National Transition Committee has been to proclaim on October 23rd, 2011, that a number of laws would be considered annulled and that 'sharia law' was to replace them. Libya’s National Transition Committee is an interim government – what it has responsibility for – and its first action should have been to put into place a mechanism for elections for the new government after the fall of the Gaddafi regime.
We live in historic times. People in the Arab world are rising up against political dictatorship and corruption; they demand reforms and are organizing for freedom, human dignity and social justice. Women have been shouldering the responsibilities in all uprisings and their movement is an integral part of the democratic forces for social and economic justice. But they are systematically excluded from the decision making processes that shape the future of their countries. What democracies are then being prepared and negotiated?
Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, the chairman of the National Transitional Council and de fact president, had already declared that Libyan laws in future would have Sharia, the Islamic code, as its "basic source". But that formulation can be interpreted in many ways - it was also the basis of Egypt's largely secular constitution under President Hosni Mubarak, and remains so after his fall.Mr Abdul-Jalil went further, specifically lifting immediately, by decree, one law from Col. Gaddafi's era that he said was in conflict with Sharia - that banning polygamy.
The enormous role of women in the uprisings in the MENA region is undisputed. They faced verbal and physical abuse, violence, arrest and death just as their male counterparts. The transformation of these countries has been groundbreaking, and their participation is as important as ever. After the dust of the battle settles, will Arab societies remember to include women in the rebuilding of their countries?
A Libyan woman who says she was raped by supporters of Col Muammar Gaddafi is recovering from her ordeal in a refugee centre in western Romania, the UN says.Twelve weeks after she burst into a Tripoli hotel to tell her story to reporters, Eman al-Obeidi, 29, is now in a private clinic attached to the UN refugee centre in Timisoara, it says. She arrived there from Libya’s rebel stronghold of Benghazi on Monday. US officials have said she is welcome to apply for asylum in America. They promised to prioritise any application she might make.
Les images d'Imane el-Obeidi en pleur dans le hall de l'Hôtel Rixos à Tripoli avaient fait le tour du monde. Au mois de mars, la jeune avocate avait fait irruption dans cet hôtel en affirmant aux journalistes internationaux avoir été violée. Elle serait parvenue à quitter la Libye et aurait trouvé refuge à l'ambassade de France en Tunisie avant de se rendre au Qatar. information à prendre à précaution pour le moment mais tout laisse à croire qu'elle est dans un lieu sûr.
نيويورك، الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية (CNN) - قال والد إيمان العبيدي، المرأة الليبية التي لفتت أنظار العالم بعدما اقتحمت بهو أحد الفنادق التي يشغلها صحفيون أجانب في طرابلس لتقول إن عناصر مسلحة ضمن كتائب العقيد معمر القذافي قامت باغتصابها، إن ابنته في دولة قطر وذلك بعد قليل من إعلانها النجاح في الفرار من ليبيا إلى تونس حرصاً على سلامتها.
Iman al-Obeidi, the Libyan woman who claimed she was raped by Muammar Gaddafi's soldiers, has reportedly fled to Tunisia with the help of a defecting military officer. Obeidi, who drew worldwide attention when she burst into a Tripoli hotel to describe to foreign journalists her alleged ordeal at the hands of 15 men, has been given refuge in Tunis by western officials. Obeidi told CNN she had entered Tunisia with a refugee document and was considering her next move. She claimed her court case against the soldiers – who she said had seized her at a checkpoint near Tripoli – had barely progressed.