Indonesia: Statement on disruption of Queer Film Festival by fundamentalist groups
With this letter, we the Q-Munity Foundation for Equality in Indonesia as the organizers of the Q! Film Festival along with various organizations and cultural centers, are stating our position and that we are continuing the events of the Q! Film Festival until the end with support from: Goethe-Institut, Centre Culturel Francais, Erasmus Huis, Jakarta Arts Council (Kineforum), Japan Foundation, KONTRAS, Arus Pelangi, Gaya Nusantara, Komnas HAM, Komnas Perempuan, Jurnal Perempuan, Kartini Asia Network, Perempuan Mahardika, Institut Ungu, Ardhanary Institute, Institut Pelangi Perempuan, GWL - INA, Institute for Defense Security and Peace Studies (IDSPS), Ratna Sarumpaet Crisis Center, Human Rights Watch New York, and Berlin Film Festival.
1. That Q! Film Festival is an arts festival that presents information and works of art from all over the world on the subject of human diversity.
2. That this festival is part of our offering to the public to increase awareness on Human Rights, specifically from the perspective of gender and sexuality within human identity.
3. That this festival is held by volunteers of various ages, economic backgrounds, religions, sexual identities and is built on the awareness to preserve tolerance between various types of people.
4. That this festival is a real effort to raise public awareness on the subject of health through free of charge health facilities.
5. That this festival serves as a forum for discussion and the exchange of cultural ideas for anyone interested in themes and ideas behind the festival.
6. That if there are parties who disagree with the ideas behind the festival, we urge them to state their opinions through a discussion forum or by holding a forum like a festival or something similar that allows for the exchange of ideas without fear of coercion.
Q! Film Festival that has been held for the past 9 years has achieved recognition from international festivals and has become part of the "Teddy On Tour" program of the Berlin Film Festival which is considered one of the largest and most respected festivals in the world. Q! Film Festival has also been chosen as "24 examples of great initiatives from all around the world focusing on LGBT human rights at local, national, regional/international level" from Danish Institute of Human Rights (DIHR).
Q-Munity Foundation for Equality in Indonesia
Yayasan Q-Munity Kesetaraan Indonesia
Arimbi Heroepoetri, Komisioner, Ketua Sub Komisi Pemantauan
Jaringan Masyarakat Sipil Untuk Demokrasi
- Yayasan Jurnal Perempuan
- Perempuan Mahardhika
- Ardhanary Institute
- LBH APIK
- Institut Ungu
- Srikandi Demokrasi Indonesia
- Institut Pelangi Perempuan
- Federasi APIK dan Solidaritas Perempuan
Dian Novita Secretary