Book Release: Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here by Karima Bennoune
We are very pleased to announce that WLUML Board Member Karima Bennoune's book, "Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism," has just been published in the U.S. by Norton.
The book tells the stories of progressive people (women's rights activists, journalists, artists) who have risked everything to stand up to fundamentalists in diverse Muslim majority contexts. For the book, Karima Bennoune interviewed nearly 300 people of Muslim heritage from almost 30 countries - from Afghanistan, Algeria, Chechnya, Dagestan, Egypt, Iran, Mali, Niger, Pakistan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Somalia, Sudan and Tunisia, amongst others. Those whose stories or commentary are featured in the book include many WLUML networkers, and the book also tells the story of how WLUML was founded.
The book will be launched in the United States today, and on the 24th of September in the United Kingdom.
For more information you can also visit www.karimabennoune.com.
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- International: Statement of Feminist and Women's Organisations on the very Limited and Concerning Results of the 56th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity
- Austerity Measures in Developing Countries: Public Expenditure Trends and the Risks to Women and Children
- Gender-Sensitive Media: A Voluntary Code of Ethics
- Female Genital Mutliation/Cutting: A Statistical Overview and an Exploration of the Dynamics of Change
- Our Motherland, Our Country: Gender Discrimination in the Middle East and North Africa
- Great Ancestors: Women Claiming Rights in Muslim Contexts