Book Release: Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here by Karima Bennoune
We are very pleased to announce that WLUML Board Member Karima Bennoune's book, "Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism," has just been published in the U.S. by Norton.
The book tells the stories of progressive people (women's rights activists, journalists, artists) who have risked everything to stand up to fundamentalists in diverse Muslim majority contexts. For the book, Karima Bennoune interviewed nearly 300 people of Muslim heritage from almost 30 countries - from Afghanistan, Algeria, Chechnya, Dagestan, Egypt, Iran, Mali, Niger, Pakistan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Somalia, Sudan and Tunisia, amongst others. Those whose stories or commentary are featured in the book include many WLUML networkers, and the book also tells the story of how WLUML was founded.
The book will be launched in the United States today, and on the 24th of September in the United Kingdom.
For more information you can also visit www.karimabennoune.com.
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Women's Chaters and Declarations: Building Another World
- New UN Report: Child, Early and Forced Marriage
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Austerity Measures in Developing Countries: Public Expenditure Trends and the Risks to Women and Children
- Gender-Sensitive Media: A Voluntary Code of Ethics