Book Release: Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here by Karima Bennoune
We are very pleased to announce that WLUML Board Member Karima Bennoune's book, "Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism," has just been published in the U.S. by Norton.
The book tells the stories of progressive people (women's rights activists, journalists, artists) who have risked everything to stand up to fundamentalists in diverse Muslim majority contexts. For the book, Karima Bennoune interviewed nearly 300 people of Muslim heritage from almost 30 countries - from Afghanistan, Algeria, Chechnya, Dagestan, Egypt, Iran, Mali, Niger, Pakistan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Somalia, Sudan and Tunisia, amongst others. Those whose stories or commentary are featured in the book include many WLUML networkers, and the book also tells the story of how WLUML was founded.
The book will be launched in the United States today, and on the 24th of September in the United Kingdom.
For more information you can also visit www.karimabennoune.com.
- Afghan clerics uneasy as civil rights movement gains momentum
- Aceh Prepares to Enforce Broader Sharia Criminal Code, With Stiffer Penalties
- “Good Iranian Women Don’t Watch Sports”
- Karima Bennoune Featured in TEDxExeter 2015 – Taking the Long View
- 'There's no life without music': the Malian musicians fighting Islamists with songs – video
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- WLUML Gazette, 14th Edition at the end of 2014
- Feminist Movement Builder's Dictionary
- Influences of Religious Fundamentalism on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Women
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region: