Force Feeding in West Africa: Body Image Experts Discuss Beauty Around The World
Young women in West Africa are routinely force fed to help them find a husband, say recent reports.
Very slim women are seen as poor and unable to afford food in West African culture, and overweight women look more affluent.
As a result big is not only beautiful, but a goal that women strive towards.
According to HBO's documentary series VICE, more than half of women in Mauritania are overweight and 20% of the female population are obese.
This quest to put on weight before marriage is a stark contrast to Western cultures, where many brides-to-be diet before their big day.
HuffPost Live spoke to body image experts from around the world to discuss not only how perceptions of beauty differ around the world, but how, for women, things always come back to size. To see the video, click here.
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- India arrest 16 for beheading woman for 'witchcraft'
- Domestic violence in Turkey reaches boiling point
- Malaysia: Women’s groups insist that marital rape be made a crime
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION - WOMEN RISK FLOGGING FOR ‘INDECENT’ CLOTHING
- Support KMEWO in demanding Justice for Dunya!
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Special Rapporteur on violence against women, mission statement for Sudan
- 'Our job is to shoot, slaughter and kill': Boko Haram's reign of terror in north east Nigeria
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region: