Remembering Cassandra Balchin
It is with deepest sadness we announce the loss of our dear friend and colleague Cassandra, who passed away peacefully on Thursday 12 July 2012. She will continue to live through her many writings and contributions to the realization of women’s human rights.
Cassandra Balchin was with WLUML for decades, from working at WLUML's Asia office, Shirkat Gah, to helping WLUML set up its London office where she assumed the position of Deputy International Co-ordinator, and later International Co-ordinator.
Knowing Cass was not only loving Cass and laughing with Cass, but arguing with Cass, hatching plans and strategies with Cass, deliberating execution with Cass, standing ground with Cass. Cass' passion, her sharp mind, her articulate arguments, her deep dedication and commitment, defined the Cass we know.
Cass, you touched our lives and shaped our struggle in so many ways. Farewell my friend. We will miss you. May your soul be blessed and rest in peace and may your sons be comforted by the love that so many have for you.
with WLUML Board, Council members, and networkers
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- International: Statement of Feminist and Women's Organisations on the very Limited and Concerning Results of the 56th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women
- United Kingdom: Take Action in Support of Gita Sahgal
- UNIFEM funds threatened as Dutch propose "gender mainstreaming" to replace Women's Programs in the UN or at the National Level