Remembering Sunila Abeysekera
WLUML would like to add its voice to the myriad voices from around the world mourning the passing away of Sunila Abeysekera, human rights and feminist activists from Sri Lanka earlier this month, while remembering her contribution to the global womens movement and the WLUML network in particular. Sunila worked closely with WLUML at our first feminist leadership institute held in Turkey in 1998 being one of a number of resource persons representing experiences from outside the Muslim world. She facilitated several sessions on using the human rights system and international mechanisms, monitoring and documenting human rights violations, and sexuality and sexual rights.
More critically her work with feminist networks such as the Women Human Rights Defenders Coalition, Urgent Action Fund, AWID, Reproductive Health Matters, etc. and her association with several members of WLUML left a deep impact on all of us. Her critical engagement with human rights on the one hand and religion and culture on the other in order to advance womens rights and challenge religious fundamentalisms and cultural chauvinism made her a close friend and ally of the network.
On behalf of the network we extend our condolences to her family in Sri Lanka, and friends, and rededicate ourselves to Sunilas vision and commitment to human rights and gender equality around the world.
- Iran's Women's Affairs Chief Feels Powerless To Act
- Iran: Lawyer who won Sakharov human rights award continues her peaceful protests against ban from practicing law.
- WLUML Board Member Karima Bennoune Wins Dayton Literature Peace Prize
- Sunila Abeysekera Commemoration: Speech by Nimalka Fernando
- New Feminist Leadership Web Portal Offers Online Home to All Generations of Activists
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- International: Statement of Feminist and Women's Organisations on the very Limited and Concerning Results of the 56th Session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity
- European Feminist Initiative: "Palestine, Libya, Syria... More than ever Feminists for Peace and Democracy"
- Feminist Movement Builder's Dictionary
- Influences of Religious Fundamentalism on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Women
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Women's Chaters and Declarations: Building Another World
- New UN Report: Child, Early and Forced Marriage