Death of renowned Islamic scholar, Asghar Ali Engineer.
It is with great sadness that we report the loss of renowned Islamic scholar and supporter of women’s rights, Asghar Ali Engineer.
Born in 1940, Asghar was the leader of the progressive Dawoodi Bohra Movement and the Chairperson of the Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, India. Asghar Ali is renowned for his prominent work on issues of women’s rights within Islam including divorce, polygamy and dowry. WLUML was fortunate enough to collaborate with Asghar Ali on a number of topics including, family planning in Islam, secularism in India, progressive Islam, adultery and Qur’anic punishment and reform in Muslim Personal Law.
WLUML is grateful for the years of Asghar Ali’s wisdom. Our hearts go out to his family at this difficult time.
- Forbidden from riding bikes, fearless Afghan girls are skateboarding around Kabul
- Swat Woman Of Courage Gets Sisters' Council To Speak Up
- Women up in Arms: Zapatistas and Rojava Kurds Embrace a New Gender Politics
- WLUML Networker Kholoud El-Sayed to Speak at TEDxSuezCanalUniversity
- Meet Estayqazat, Syria’s online feminist movement
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Iran: WLUML Supports Call for Solidarity: Freedom and Gender Equality in Iran
- India: Violent attacks and cases of moral policing in Karnataka
- India: Stand in solidarity with the women of Gujarat on 8th March
- India: Harassment of women engaged in prostitution in Karnataka