Death of renowned Islamic scholar, Asghar Ali Engineer.
It is with great sadness that we report the loss of renowned Islamic scholar and supporter of women’s rights, Asghar Ali Engineer.
Born in 1940, Asghar was the leader of the progressive Dawoodi Bohra Movement and the Chairperson of the Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, India. Asghar Ali is renowned for his prominent work on issues of women’s rights within Islam including divorce, polygamy and dowry. WLUML was fortunate enough to collaborate with Asghar Ali on a number of topics including, family planning in Islam, secularism in India, progressive Islam, adultery and Qur’anic punishment and reform in Muslim Personal Law.
WLUML is grateful for the years of Asghar Ali’s wisdom. Our hearts go out to his family at this difficult time.
- Afghanistan: Uphill struggle for female aid workers
- Bangladesh: How Birth Certificates Help Fight Child Marriage
- Afghan women excluded from peace talks with Taliban, says Oxfam
- New Feminist Leadership Web Portal Offers Online Home to All Generations of Activists
- Striving for Gender Justice: Overcoming Obstacles
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Iran: WLUML Supports Call for Solidarity: Freedom and Gender Equality in Iran
- India: Violent attacks and cases of moral policing in Karnataka
- India: Stand in solidarity with the women of Gujarat on 8th March
- India: Harassment of women engaged in prostitution in Karnataka