International: 'UN Expert Calls for Integration of Gender Perspective into Criminal Justice Systems'
A gender perspective needs to be integrated into countries’ criminal justice systems to ensure women are not “ruled out of the law,” the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers Gabriela Knaul said today.
“Given the historical and pervasive discrimination against women throughout the world, we have to look at how women are represented and treated in the criminal justice system,” Ms. Knaul said, presenting her latest annual report in New York to the General Assembly.
Ms. Knaul said integrating a gender outlook is a fundamental step towards allowing equal access to justice for men and women and stressed that “we all have an essential responsibility to integrate a gender perspective into our own mandates and work.”
Ms. Knaul also expressed particular concern for the lack of integration and women’s points of view into judicial procedures, noting that women’s representation should be encouraged and “traditional notions of judging and judicial authority must be challenged.”
“I hope this report will encourage stakeholders to properly study, understand, assess, and challenge the impacts and effects that gender-based stereotypes, prejudices and discrimination have on both women and men in their access to and engagement in the justice system as a whole, and the criminal justice system in particular,” Ms. Knaul said.
- What a Houthi-controlled Yemen Means for Women
- Making Law and Justice Work for Women
- It is too simple to reduce religious motives to mere pretexts for violence – New report
- Iran's Women's Affairs Chief Feels Powerless To Act
- Iran: Lawyer who won Sakharov human rights award continues her peaceful protests against ban from practicing law.
- On May 28, International Day of Action for Women’s Health, Women’s Rights Defenders Mobilize Worldwide Calling for the Inclusion of Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity