International: 'UN Expert Calls for Integration of Gender Perspective into Criminal Justice Systems'
A gender perspective needs to be integrated into countries’ criminal justice systems to ensure women are not “ruled out of the law,” the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers Gabriela Knaul said today.
“Given the historical and pervasive discrimination against women throughout the world, we have to look at how women are represented and treated in the criminal justice system,” Ms. Knaul said, presenting her latest annual report in New York to the General Assembly.
Ms. Knaul said integrating a gender outlook is a fundamental step towards allowing equal access to justice for men and women and stressed that “we all have an essential responsibility to integrate a gender perspective into our own mandates and work.”
Ms. Knaul also expressed particular concern for the lack of integration and women’s points of view into judicial procedures, noting that women’s representation should be encouraged and “traditional notions of judging and judicial authority must be challenged.”
“I hope this report will encourage stakeholders to properly study, understand, assess, and challenge the impacts and effects that gender-based stereotypes, prejudices and discrimination have on both women and men in their access to and engagement in the justice system as a whole, and the criminal justice system in particular,” Ms. Knaul said.
- Bangladesh: Bangladesh building collapse kills scores
- International: The Ethics of Alliance and Solidarity: An Exchange Between Rafia Zakaria and Meredith Tax
- UN: International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation
- International: Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Slavery Marks International Day for Abolition of Slavery.
- International: The Malala Effect Statement by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on the occasion of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women (25 November).
- Universality Of Human Rights At Stake! Act Now To Oppose Russian Resolution On Traditional Values!
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- International: Open letter to President of the Human Rights Council regarding sexual orientation and gender identity
- European Feminist Initiative: "Palestine, Libya, Syria... More than ever Feminists for Peace and Democracy"
- Pakistan: URGENT-Shirkat Gah Appeals for Support in Relief Work
- Learning from Women to Create Gender Inclusive Cities
- Victories over Violence: Ensuring Safety for Women and Girls
- Reparations for Women Subjected to Violence: First thematic report by SRVAW
- First Annual Report of the Independent Expert in the field of Cultural Rights
- CEDAW - General recommendations