Kyrgyzstan: Krygyzstan considers banning girls from traveling abroad
Rights activists in Kyrgyzstan are campaigning against a parliamentary proposal to bar women under the age of 23 from travelling abroad without their parents’ consent.
In a country where hundreds of thousands of migrant workers go to Russia and other states every year, supporters of the restrictions say they just want to protect vulnerable young women from the risk of abuse. Irgal Kadyralieva, the parliamentarian who drafted the proposal, told legislators on March 4 that in some cases, the right to free movement had to be outweighed by other considerations.
The Bishkek Feminist Collective SQ is campaigning against a move its members see as unconstitutional and discriminatory on both sex and age grounds. For opponents of the plan, it seems perverse to impose restrictions on young women on the grounds that they are potential victims, not perpetrators of crimes.
Aida Kasymalieva of the Kyrgyz service of RFE/RL told IWPR about the background to this unusual proposal. She has reported on cases where female Kyrgyz migrant workers have been attacked by their male counterparts who accuse them of “loose behaviour”. Last year she broke the story of one such assault, on a woman called Sapargul, which was filmed and posted on the internet.
For more information, please click here.
- Afghanistan: Reject stoning, flogging, amputation and other Taliban-era punishments
- Public stoning consideration is latest setback for Afghan women's rights
- "160 Girls": Making legal history in the fight against sexual violence
- Trial of Sudanese activists charged with ‘indecent behaviour’ postponed
- Slashing grass as punishment for rape!
- URGENT ACTION: Sudan: Two Sudanese Activists At Risk Of Flogging
- Kenya: Protect girls by enforcing FGM and child marriage laws
- Who Cares About Stoning? Online Photo Campaign
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Sudan: 32 Nuba Women Behind Bars in the Women’s International Day!
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict
- Masculinity, Son Preference and Intimate Partner Violence (India)
- Prevention of Trafficking in Human Beings Online
- Female Genital Mutliation/Cutting: A Statistical Overview and an Exploration of the Dynamics of Change
- Stolen Lives, Empty Classrooms: An Overview on Girl Marriages in Iran