Myanmar: Police Kill Muslim Women
Three women villagers from Myanmar's Rohingya minority have been shot dead in a confrontation with security officials, police and activists said Wednesday.
A police officer in Mrauk-U township in western Rakhine state said that three women died in Parein village, where they were part of a crowd that defied efforts to relocate them from the housing in which they have been living since their original homes were burned by Buddhists in a wave of sectarian clashes last year.
The officer from the Special Branch political police, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to release information, said two men and two women were injured.
The most serious attacks took place in Rakhine State in the west in June and October last year, when Buddhists fought against Rohingya Muslims, who are denied citizenship by Myanmar and seen by many in the country as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh.
For more information, please click here.
- Indonesia: The Other Face of the Helsinki Peace Process, Aceh 10 Years Later
- A Bad Year for Yara Sallam in Egypt's Republic of Fear
- Surge in sexual abuse by Egypt authorities, report says
- Libya: Civil rights activist murdered in Tripoli
- Indonesia lawmakers drop plan for schoolgirl virginity tests after uproar
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Sudan: Stop Planting Mines in the Nuba Mountains!
- Declaration of the Senegalese Feminist Forum statement during the Reflection on the Malian Crisis Meeting
- UPDATE: Madagascar: New president suspends parliament
- UPDATE: Myanmar: Joint NGO statement supporting Human Rights Defenders in Burma
- Leaflet: Women In Black Denounce UK Complicity in Atrocities in Sudan
- Unspeakable Crimes Against Children: Sexual Violence in Conflict
- Women Building Peace
- Dossier 28: An Islamic experience of religious pluralism in post-apartheid South Africa
- Dossier 25: The Role of the International Community in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict