A New Report: Nazra For Feminist Studies: "One Year Of Impunity: Violations Against Women Human Rights Defenders In Egypt From August To December 2011"
This report aims to illustrate the ways in which the repressive policies of the past, especially those geared towards women human rights defenders (WHRDs) are still with us. Not only does this report illustrate the ways in which violations against WHRDs persist, but it also underlines the fact that the repressive practices undertaken by the state against WHRDs are escalating, especially under militarism.
Women who address human rights issues generally are at risk because they threaten the gender order. Women who dare to challenge social conventions, whether it is by their mere presence on the streets to chants against the regime or take part in a strike, are subject to sexual violence, threats, and derogatory public accusations aimed at discrediting their character.
The report recommends halting the smearing campaigns carried out against WHRDs, and to initiate an investigation with the perpetrators, especially those that occurred in the light of demonstrations and sit-ins, rather than excusing the violations committed, in order to end the persistent cases of impunity and achieve justice for the victims. The report also recommends the immediate cessation of targeting WHRDs to try to push them away from the public sphere.
To access the report, please click here
- Soudan du Sud : des milliers de femmes réduites en esclavage et violées par des soldats
- Update: Activists Yara Sallam, Sanaa Seif released from prison
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- India arrest 16 for beheading woman for 'witchcraft'
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION EIGHT GIRLS FREE, ONE OTHER RISKS FLOGGING
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Support KMEWO in demanding Justice for Dunya!
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region: