Afghanistan: Perpetuation of warlordism detrimental to security for women
Source:Rights & Democracy
Once again gender apartheid is being instituted in grave violations of the human rights of girls and women in Afghanistan. This time, the attacks are coming from warlords.
Like hooliganism, vandalism and barbarism, warlordism threatens the security and stability of post-Taliban Afghanistan. For International Women's Day 2003, Rights & Democracy launched a campaign to address the problem of rampant warlordism in Afghanistan, with an action initiative titled Perpetuation of Warlordism in Afghanistan Detrimental to Security for Women. Rights & Democracy is asking for action and a halt to financial and political support of warlordism from those governments who play a role in the perpetuation of it and has prepared 17 recommendations for halting this obstacle to peace in Afghanistan. While Afghanistan struggles to rebuild, the dominance of warlords, some of them supported by the United States, others by cabinet members in the Transitional Government of Afghanistan, has created a major barrier to both peace and human rights throughout the country.
Submitted on Wed, 03/19/2003 - 00:00
- Indonesia: PRESS RELEASE: Women Leaders National Jamboree--230 Women Leaders Building the New Indonesian Economy and Peace
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- Indonesia: The Other Face of the Helsinki Peace Process, Aceh 10 Years Later
- Farkhunda murder: Afghan court quashes death sentences
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Statement in Condemnation of Terrorist Attack Targeting Media Organizations in Afghanistan
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Sudan: Stop Planting Mines in the Nuba Mountains!
- Afghanistan: End the Unlawful Criminalisation of Women and Girls Based on 'Moral Grounds'
- Afghanistan: Women included into Afghan delegation to Bonn
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- Leaflet: Women In Black Denounce UK Complicity in Atrocities in Sudan
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Unspeakable Crimes Against Children: Sexual Violence in Conflict
- RIWPS Annual Brochure 2013