Afghanistan: Sharia 'only source' of law
KABUL - Islamic shariah law is the 'only source' of legislation in Afghanistan, deputy chief justice Fazel Ahmad Manawi has declared.
"The only source of legislation in Afghanistan is Islamic shariah law," Justice Manawi said late Friday, outlining the major recommendations made by a council of 75 Islamic leaders from across the country. The three-day council, or shura, organised by the Supreme Court, ended on Wednesday. A commission is currently scrutinising a new draft constitution finalised last month. Commissioners are also conducting a public education and consultation campaign to gather views on the new constitution, which will replace the current 1964 one. Several Western countries have expressed unease at the prospect of a constitution and legal system based on Islamic law.
Submitted on Mon, 05/12/2003 - 23:00
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!