Afghanistan: Sima Samar Wins Perdita Huston Human Rights Award
Source:Feminist Daily News Wire
Dr Sima Samar, the chair of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (IHRC), will be presented with the Perdita Huston Human Rights Award on June 11 in Washington, DC.
Dr. Samar is chair of the first Human Rights Commission in the history of Afghanistan. Previously, as Minister of Women's Affairs, she was one of only two women cabinet members in Afghanistan's transition government after the fall of the Taliban. Dr. Samar also served as vice-chair of the loya jirga. Dr. Samar has been a leader for women's rights in Afghanistan. Despite facing strong political opposition, including death threats from fundamentalists, Samar presses forward.
Submitted on Mon, 06/30/2003 - 23:00
- Indonesia: PRESS RELEASE: Women Leaders National Jamboree--230 Women Leaders Building the New Indonesian Economy and Peace
- Analysis: The value of women voting in Saudi Arabia
- Nepal elects first female president
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- The WLUML-WELDD Butterfly Effect Series Are Up Now!
- Statement in Condemnation of Terrorist Attack Targeting Media Organizations in Afghanistan
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Afghanistan: End the Unlawful Criminalisation of Women and Girls Based on 'Moral Grounds'
- Afghanistan: Women included into Afghan delegation to Bonn