Afghanistan: Sima Samar Wins Perdita Huston Human Rights Award
Source:Feminist Daily News Wire
Dr Sima Samar, the chair of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (IHRC), will be presented with the Perdita Huston Human Rights Award on June 11 in Washington, DC.
Dr. Samar is chair of the first Human Rights Commission in the history of Afghanistan. Previously, as Minister of Women's Affairs, she was one of only two women cabinet members in Afghanistan's transition government after the fall of the Taliban. Dr. Samar also served as vice-chair of the loya jirga. Dr. Samar has been a leader for women's rights in Afghanistan. Despite facing strong political opposition, including death threats from fundamentalists, Samar presses forward.
Submitted on Tue, 07/01/2003 - 00:00
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- Malawian chief annuls 300 child marriages, sends kids to school
- Afghanistan: Men throw acid into girls' faces 'for going to school'
- Saudi Arabia – Women Traveling Alone without Permission of Guardians, Under Study
- Displaced women and girls trapped in Afghanistan’s cities
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Afghanistan: End the Unlawful Criminalisation of Women and Girls Based on 'Moral Grounds'
- Afghanistan: Women included into Afghan delegation to Bonn
- WLUML Statement on Afghan women's exclusion from participation at Bonn