UK: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Bill will come into effect on 4th March 2004
Source:Women's National Commission
This new bill replaces the Female Circumcision Act 1985.
Salient points in the new bill are the change of name, which recognizes the practise as an act of mutilation and an increase in the maximum penalty applied to offenders, from 5 to 14 years imprisonment.
Submitted on Thu, 01/15/2004 - 01:00
- Morocco: Women battle against domestic abuse
- Bangladesh: Islamists Demand that Bangladesh's Women Stay at Home
- Afghanistan: Woman killed for “dishonouring” family
- Lebanon: Workshop on "Masculinity and ending Violence Against Women in the Middle East and Abroad"
- Kyrgyzstan: Krygyzstan considers banning girls from traveling abroad
- Sudan: 32 Nuba Women Behind Bars in the Women’s International Day!
- Sudan: Crackdown on Nuba Women Human Rights Activists!
- A Pakistani born Canadian Victim's Appeal for Help!
- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL URGENT ACTION: Teacher charged and faces death penalty
- Jalila Khamis formally charged and faces EXECUTION!