UK: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Bill will come into effect on 4th March 2004
Source:Women's National Commission
This new bill replaces the Female Circumcision Act 1985.
Salient points in the new bill are the change of name, which recognizes the practise as an act of mutilation and an increase in the maximum penalty applied to offenders, from 5 to 14 years imprisonment.
Submitted on Thu, 01/15/2004 - 00:00
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Sudan: Rape as Weapon of War AU/UN Should Increase Investigations, Reporting on Abuses
- Minor convicted in heinous Delhi gang rape to be freed
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan