UK: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Bill will come into effect on 4th March 2004
Source:Women's National Commission
This new bill replaces the Female Circumcision Act 1985.
Salient points in the new bill are the change of name, which recognizes the practise as an act of mutilation and an increase in the maximum penalty applied to offenders, from 5 to 14 years imprisonment.
Submitted on Thu, 01/15/2004 - 01:00
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict
- "Maybe we are hated": The experience and impact of Anti-Muslim hate on British Muslim Women