Iraq: Mass Demonstrations by Women, Others, Against Sudden Islamization of Iraqi Law
The Baghdad/London daily az-Zaman reports that there were widespread demonstrations on Tuesday by women against the order decreeing abolition of Iraq's uniform civil codes in favor of religious law, which they say "repeals women's rights" in Iraq.
Submitted on Fri, 01/16/2004 - 01:00
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) condemns the harassment of Sri Lankan activist Sharmila Seyyid
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Iraq: Don’t Legalize Marriage for 9-Year-Olds
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Mapping Stoning in Muslim Contexts
- Dossier 30-31: The Struggle for Secularism in Europe and North America
- Towards a Future without Fundamentalisms