Iran: More women's rights defenders sentenced
The same court also sentenced another activist, Nahid Jaafari, to 10 lashes and a six- month suspended prison sentence on the same charges on April 21, 2008. Branch 16 of Tehran's Revolutionary Court sentenced Zeinab Peyghambarzadeh, a sociology student at Tehran University and women's rights activist, to a two- year suspended prison sentence on March 29, 2008. She was also suspended for two semesters from continuing her education by the university's Disciplinary Committee.
Another activist, Marzieh "Minoo" Mortazi Langaroudi, also detained on March 4, 2006, was sentenced to 10 lashes and a six-month suspended imprisonment on March 29, 2008.
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION - WOMEN RISK FLOGGING FOR ‘INDECENT’ CLOTHING
- Raise Your Voice Against the 'Protection of the Family' Resolution
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) condemns the harassment of Sri Lankan activist Sharmila Seyyid
- Drop the terrorism charges against Silan Ozcelik
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman