UPDATE: Algeria: Samia Smets acquitted
During the appeal trial held last week, the lawyer Talha Houda defended her client basing her defence on the inadmissibility of the testimonies/evidences and the absence of the corpus delicti. After one week, this verdict has widely satisfied the accused and her lawyer. The latter declared: "The tribunal has restored the image of Biskra and the whole of Algeria, in proclaiming this acquittal."
This also demonstrates that the Criminal court is a court of evidences and not of conviction since no tangible evidence has been presented by the accusers, who are the fellow prisoners and their testimonies were misleading. I thank the judges who have considered the mitigating circumstances for my warrant ».
Source: El Watan
Translated by: Chiara Maurilio
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- URGENT ACTION NEEDED: INNOCENT SUDANESE MOTHER WILL FACE PUBLIC FLOGGING AND EXECUTION, SIHA CONDEMNS TODAY'S RULING IN HAJ YOUSIF COURT IN KHARTOUM
- To the British Government: Work with Dubai's government to free Afsana!
- Call for Action: Include women in the Syrian peace-building process now!
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!
- Libya Status of Women Report 2013
- Sudanese WHRDs at The Frontlines: Arry Report on the Situation of WHRDs in Sudan
- Dossier 30-31: The Struggle for Secularism in Europe and North America
- Towards a Future without Fundamentalisms
- Feminists on the Frontline: AWID Case Studies of Resisting Fundamentalisms