UPDATE: Pakistan: Mukhtar Mai's case adjourned for third time in a month
"We return to you with another update from Mukhtar Mai. Yesterday March 4, 2009, her case before the Supreme Court of Pakistan was adjourned for the third time with a month. Our sincere thanks for your immediate responses and support. We believe they truly made a difference.
"We are doing our best to operate within an unpredictable system. Not only was there good indication that there was political interference in her case, but the judiciary has extremely complicated and erratic procedures. We do not know when her case will be heard again, as we ourselves find out only at the eleventh hour. This volatile situation may require us to call for your quick action again in the future.
"One thing we are certain of - the highest levels of government heard the international community’s support for Mukhtar Mai and cries for judicial independence in her case. However, we remain concerned about the security of Mukhtar, her family and colleagues, and we continue to wait for appropriate measures and assurances from the government.
"Thanks again for your support."
Mukhtar Mai Women's Welfare Organization
- Urgent Action: Free Maryam Shafi’pour!
- URGENT: Maldives: Sex without Consent is always Rape
- Call for Action: Include women in the Syrian peace-building process now!
- URGENT ACTION: Sudan: Two Sudanese Activists At Risk Of Flogging
- DRAFT UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION ON WOMEN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS UNDER ATTACK!