UPDATE: Pakistan: Mukhtar Mai's case adjourned for third time in a month
"We return to you with another update from Mukhtar Mai. Yesterday March 4, 2009, her case before the Supreme Court of Pakistan was adjourned for the third time with a month. Our sincere thanks for your immediate responses and support. We believe they truly made a difference.
"We are doing our best to operate within an unpredictable system. Not only was there good indication that there was political interference in her case, but the judiciary has extremely complicated and erratic procedures. We do not know when her case will be heard again, as we ourselves find out only at the eleventh hour. This volatile situation may require us to call for your quick action again in the future.
"One thing we are certain of - the highest levels of government heard the international community’s support for Mukhtar Mai and cries for judicial independence in her case. However, we remain concerned about the security of Mukhtar, her family and colleagues, and we continue to wait for appropriate measures and assurances from the government.
"Thanks again for your support."
Mukhtar Mai Women's Welfare Organization
- 'Islamic' Chair Cover Gets Iranian Activist In Trouble
- Iraq: Women Suffer Under ISIS: For Sunnis, Lives Curtailed; for Yezidis, New Accounts of Brutal Rapes
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- Sudan: Rape as Weapon of War AU/UN Should Increase Investigations, Reporting on Abuses
- URGENT APPEAL ON BEHALF OF EGYPTIAN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
- Statement in Condemnation of Terrorist Attack Targeting Media Organizations in Afghanistan
- We Strongly Condemn the Terrorist Attacks Taking Place in the Name of “Islam”
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION EIGHT GIRLS FREE, ONE OTHER RISKS FLOGGING
- Raise Your Voice Against the 'Protection of the Family' Resolution
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- The Relationship between Feminism and State Policies for the Elimination of Violence against Women: The National Strategy for the Elimination of Violence against Women as an Example
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences