UPDATE: Pakistan: Mukhtar Mai's case adjourned for third time in a month
"We return to you with another update from Mukhtar Mai. Yesterday March 4, 2009, her case before the Supreme Court of Pakistan was adjourned for the third time with a month. Our sincere thanks for your immediate responses and support. We believe they truly made a difference.
"We are doing our best to operate within an unpredictable system. Not only was there good indication that there was political interference in her case, but the judiciary has extremely complicated and erratic procedures. We do not know when her case will be heard again, as we ourselves find out only at the eleventh hour. This volatile situation may require us to call for your quick action again in the future.
"One thing we are certain of - the highest levels of government heard the international community’s support for Mukhtar Mai and cries for judicial independence in her case. However, we remain concerned about the security of Mukhtar, her family and colleagues, and we continue to wait for appropriate measures and assurances from the government.
"Thanks again for your support."
Mukhtar Mai Women's Welfare Organization
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Support KMEWO in demanding Justice for Dunya!
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka