USA: ACLU challenges funding of religion in abstinence-only sex education
Source:American Civil Liberties Union
A lawsuit has been filed which challenges the federal government's funding of religious activities in the "Silver Ring Thing," a nationwide ministry program that uses abstinence-only sex education as a means to bring "unchurched" students to Jesus Christ.
Submitted on Wed, 05/18/2005 - 23:00
- In the Flesh: Female Sex Work & HIV in the Middle East & North Africa
- Sri Lanka: Coercive Population Control in Kilinochchi
- Nigeria's child brides: 'I thought being in labour would never end'
- Indonesia: Female students may be forced to undergo 'virginity tests'
- USA: CWGL’s Founding Director and Senior Scholar, Charlotte Bunch, honored through the creation of a Human Rights Defenders Award
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- VNC Statement: The Vatican's Crackdown Against the Nuns Is Unacceptable and Deplorable
- Update: Kyrgyzstan: Continued access to abortion - safe, for now
- Kyrgyzstan: Support the campaign to ensure continued access to abortion
- USA: Polygamy related abuses in Utah
- Legal Empowerment of Unwed Mothers: Experiences of Moroccan NGOs
- WSF: Religious fundamentalisms and repression of reproductive and sexual rights
- Time to Speak Out: Illegal Abortion and Women’s Reproductive Health in Pakistan
- Dossier 22: Exploring the Context of Women’s Sexuality in Eastern Turkey
- Dossier 18: Sex and the Single Shi’ite: Mut’a Marriage in an American Lebanese Shi’ite Community