UK: Forced marriage law 'not needed'
The Home Office has decided a specific law to ban forced marriages in the UK is not needed. It is thought the disadvantages of a new law would outweigh the advantages, and possibly drive the practice of forced marriages underground.
Submitted on Mon, 06/12/2006 - 00:00
- 'I just want to go to school': how Afghan law continues to fail child brides
- Tens of female students poisoned in Samangan
- Farkhunda murder: Afghan judge sentences four to death over mob killing
- 293 Women and Girls Rescued From Boko Haram Terrorist Group in Nigeria
- Karima Bennoune Featured in TEDxExeter 2015 – Taking the Long View
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Too Young to Wed
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*