Malaysia: Stemming the 'I divorce you' trend
Source:Sisters in Islam
Malaysia was one of the first Muslim countries to provide for divorce to take place only in court. But in 1994 the law was amended to allow the registration of divorces outside courts, thus defeating the original intent & spirit of the 1984 law reform.
Submitted on Thu, 11/02/2006 - 00:00
- UN human rights experts urge Kenya to repeal discriminatory sections in Matrimonial Property Act
- Divorce by Text Challenged by Sisters in Islam
- Morocco to change rape marriage law
- After advocacy by women's movement, Morocco makes major reform to rape law
- Kashmir: Mass-Rape Survivors Struggle as Kafkaesque Justice Reigns
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Egypt: Postpone the 15 December referendum on the draft Constitution!
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws Statement on Libya
- Saudi Arabia: WLUML/VNC Statement: 'We Say "Yes" to Women's Full Enjoyment of their Rights'
- UPDATE: Malaysia: Kartika’s caning sentence commuted to community service