UAE: Ministerial panel moves toward allowing women in the judiciary
The committee agreed to amend the federal law on judicial authority in order to remove gender specification, which specified ‘males only’ for such positions. The committee has approved another law proposal regarding firearms, ammunitions and explosives. Both proposals have been sent to the Cabinet for necessary action.
Also present at the meeting were Minister of Economy Shaikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of Governmental Sector Development Sultan bin Saeed Al Mansouri and Dr Ali Al Hosani, acting undersecretary in the Ministry of Justice.
16 June, 2007
- Afghanistan: Number of women jailed for fleeing abuse soars!
- Bangladesh Defies Hardliners, Elects First Female Speaker
- Afghanistan: Afghan protest against women's rights legislation
- Egypt Risks Drifting Further Away from Human Rights Ideals
- Kuwait: Female Arab scientists urge defence of women's rights
- Egypt: Postpone the 15 December referendum on the draft Constitution!
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws Statement on Libya
- Saudi Arabia: WLUML/VNC Statement: 'We Say "Yes" to Women's Full Enjoyment of their Rights'
- UPDATE: Canada: Canadian polygamist leader arrested
- UPDATE: Nigeria: Local women's groups protest bill on 'indecent clothing'