Iran: UPDATE: Temporary Success: Stoning of Mokarrameh and her Partner Suspended
It is crucial to understand that the stoning sentence of Mokarrameh Ebrahimi and her partner is still legally in effect and it is only the implementation of the sentence that has been suspended. Another woman, Kobra Najjar, who is also the mother of four children and had been forced to prostitution by her husband, a drug addict, is also facing stoning to death after her appeal to the Judiciary Commission for Amnesty and Clemency was rejected for the third time last week. Furthermore, there are at least seven other men and women who are sentenced to stoning for having committed adultery.
In order to save the lives of Mokarrameh Ebrahimi, her partner, Kobra Najjar, and all the other men and women who have been sentenced to stoning, the loud opposition to stoning shall continue until the Iranian legal system puts an end to stoning.
In May 2006, a man and a woman, Abbas and Mahboubeh, were stoned in Mashhad for having committed adultery, and a woman named Masoumeh was hanged in Evin prison for adultery in October 2006. The Stop Stoning Forever Campaign activists fear that other forms of the death penalty might replace stoning, if the law is not changed.
We are urging you to please continue the efforts to abolish stoning in Iran. Together, we can stop stoning forever all over the world.
To learn more about the Stop Stoning Forever Campaign, please visit the site www.stopstoning.org or contact Soheila Vahdati firstname.lastname@example.org in the US and Shadi Sadr email@example.com in Iran.
20 June 2007
- Afghanistan: Prominent female politician and 'brave voice' Angeza Shinwari dies after car bomb attack
- Iran's Women's Affairs Chief Feels Powerless To Act
- Nigeria: Why it is hard to know the truth about the Boko Haram crisis
- Malaysia: Muslim women's group Sisters in Islam gain judicial review of 'deviants' fatwa
- Iran: Lawyer who won Sakharov human rights award continues her peaceful protests against ban from practicing law.
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- KURDISH WOMAN LOSING SIGHT IN IRANIAN PRISON
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- A Former Child Bride is Hanged and Denied Her Last Wish to See Her Daughter
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran
- Early and Forced Marriage in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Stolen Lives, Empty Classrooms: An Overview on Girl Marriages in Iran
- Crime and Impunity - Sexual Torture of Women in Islamic Republic Prisons