Egypt: Rights group demands the criminalization of FGM
We consider all Egyptian medical institutions – which are supposed to protect and improve women's health but that ignore this dangerous issue – to be accomplices in this crime.
There is no direct law or legal action from the Ministry of Health that criminalizes and prevents this harmful traditional practice. The Doctors' Syndicate has made no positive moves to punish the perpetrators of this crime or other medical malpractice that threatens 85-95% of girls in Egypt.
The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights demands that:
*decision makers in Egypt adopt a law that criminalizes FGM
*the Doctor's Syndicate punish doctors who commit this crime
*the Minister of Health to commit to preventing FGM and closing clinics and hospitals that continue to practice it
The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights supports the efforts of the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood to prevent this crime and call for support of their efforts and the efforts of all NGOs working to prevent this violent practice."
--The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR
- Child, Early and Forced Marriage: A Multi-Country Study.
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict
- Masculinity, Son Preference and Intimate Partner Violence (India)