Egypt: Rights group demands the criminalization of FGM
We consider all Egyptian medical institutions – which are supposed to protect and improve women's health but that ignore this dangerous issue – to be accomplices in this crime.
There is no direct law or legal action from the Ministry of Health that criminalizes and prevents this harmful traditional practice. The Doctors' Syndicate has made no positive moves to punish the perpetrators of this crime or other medical malpractice that threatens 85-95% of girls in Egypt.
The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights demands that:
*decision makers in Egypt adopt a law that criminalizes FGM
*the Doctor's Syndicate punish doctors who commit this crime
*the Minister of Health to commit to preventing FGM and closing clinics and hospitals that continue to practice it
The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights supports the efforts of the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood to prevent this crime and call for support of their efforts and the efforts of all NGOs working to prevent this violent practice."
--The Egyptian Center for Women's Rights
- Iraq: Women Suffer Under ISIS: For Sunnis, Lives Curtailed; for Yezidis, New Accounts of Brutal Rapes
- URGENT NEWS: SEND YOUR SIGNATURES TO PRESIDENT AL-SISI BY WEDNESDAY THE 29TH OF MARCH
- The case of Saba Qaiser and the film-maker determined to put an end to 'honour' killings
- #February6th: The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (#FGM): Celebrating Victories
- Uganda bans maids from working in Saudi Arabia
- URGENT APPEAL ON BEHALF OF EGYPTIAN HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDERS
- SUDAN: URGENT ACTION EIGHT GIRLS FREE, ONE OTHER RISKS FLOGGING
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Support KMEWO in demanding Justice for Dunya!
- Forced Gynecological Exams As Sexual Harassment and Human Rights Violation
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan