Egypt: Supreme Administrative Court Moves to Consider Religious Conversion Cases
The lower Court of Administrative Justice had last April decided that Christian converts to Islam who have reverted to Christianity were not entitled to identity cards and other official documents recognizing their Christian religious affiliation. Identity documents are mandatory for all citizens and necessary for education, employment, marriage, inheritance and other essential aspects of everyday life. Twelve of the plaintiffs in these cases appealed the decisions before the SAC.
In today's decision the Appeals Inspection Chamber rejected the Interior Ministry's plea to dismiss the appeal and referred the matter to the First Circuit of the SAC which will consider a decision on the merits of the case.
The EIPR had intervened in all of the twelve cases in support of the appellants and their legal defense teams.
2 July 2007
- Jordan detains journalist Rula Amin without charges over custody battle
- Lebanon debates introducing civil marriage
- Egypt: update 18 dead, 52 injured on January 25 anniversary
- Egypt: Press Release by the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders on the Appeal Verdict in the Case of Yara Sallam and Sanaa Seif
- IKWRO meet with the Law Society on Sharia
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Saudi Arabia: Release Maysaa Alamoudi and Loujain Alhathloul
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Morocco's Dilemma: Rights and Reform or Closure and Conservatism?
- Reclaiming the Streets for Women’s Dignity: Effective Initiatives in the Struggle against Gender-Based Violence in between Egypt’s Two Revolutions
- The Politics of Mobilising for Gender Justice in Egypt from Mubarak to Morsi and Beyond
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- Family Law in Bahrain