India: Human rights groups protest against Shrawasti mass rape
Others who expressed their opinions included Dr Naseem, Quddus Hashmi, Shaista Amber of the All-India Muslim Women’s Personal Law Board, Naaz Raza, Dr Sabira Habib, Shehnaz Sidrat, Shaqeel Siddiqui, Kriti Prakash and Rehmatunnissa, amongst others. Organisations supporting the protest included Bazme Khwateen, AIDWA, Jamietul Ulemay Hind Council, Muslim Forum, PDF, Sunni Council, Bharatiya Awam society and the Muslim Samaj.
Apart from the protest gathering, some organisations also conducted a fact-finding exercise to find out details of the incident. The fact-finding team included Risha Syed and Manjari Chandra from AALI, Ravi Jeena, Puneet from Jan Vikas Sansthan and Shakeela from Aghaz-e-Insaaf. They spoke to the victims’ families, the residents of Dhanni Deeh village, the commissioner of the Devi Patan division and also medical officer Dr Rabia Sultana.
Based on their findings, the organisations have suggested that there is a need to mobilise public opinion to ensure that the state at least acknowledges the crime and bodies like the State Human Rights Commission; the State Women’s Commission and the State Minorities commission should intervene in the matter.
17 July 2007
Express News Service
- Sudan: 32 Nuba Women Behind Bars in the Women’s International Day!
- Sudan: Crackdown on Nuba Women Human Rights Activists!
- A Pakistani born Canadian Victim's Appeal for Help!
- AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL URGENT ACTION: Teacher charged and faces death penalty
- Jalila Khamis formally charged and faces EXECUTION!
- Sudanese WHRDs at The Frontlines: Arry Report on the Situation of WHRDs in Sudan
- Learning from Women to Create Gender Inclusive Cities
- Victories over Violence: Ensuring Safety for Women and Girls
- Mapping Stoning in Muslim Contexts
- Reparations for Women Subjected to Violence: First thematic report by SRVAW