India: Human rights groups protest against Shrawasti mass rape
Others who expressed their opinions included Dr Naseem, Quddus Hashmi, Shaista Amber of the All-India Muslim Women’s Personal Law Board, Naaz Raza, Dr Sabira Habib, Shehnaz Sidrat, Shaqeel Siddiqui, Kriti Prakash and Rehmatunnissa, amongst others. Organisations supporting the protest included Bazme Khwateen, AIDWA, Jamietul Ulemay Hind Council, Muslim Forum, PDF, Sunni Council, Bharatiya Awam society and the Muslim Samaj.
Apart from the protest gathering, some organisations also conducted a fact-finding exercise to find out details of the incident. The fact-finding team included Risha Syed and Manjari Chandra from AALI, Ravi Jeena, Puneet from Jan Vikas Sansthan and Shakeela from Aghaz-e-Insaaf. They spoke to the victims’ families, the residents of Dhanni Deeh village, the commissioner of the Devi Patan division and also medical officer Dr Rabia Sultana.
Based on their findings, the organisations have suggested that there is a need to mobilise public opinion to ensure that the state at least acknowledges the crime and bodies like the State Human Rights Commission; the State Women’s Commission and the State Minorities commission should intervene in the matter.
17 July 2007
Express News Service
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR