Malaysia: Popular English daily "New Straits Times" has withdrawn the columns of social activist Zainah Anwar
Source: Reporters Without Borders
21 August 2007
Zainah Anwar is key to the high public profile of Sisters in Islam. She has been the public face of SIS and gives public talks on Islam and women's rights, politics and fundamental liberties, nationally and internationally.
Her other work experience includes: Chief Programme Officer, Political Affairs Division, Commonwealth Secretariat, London; Freelance Writer; Senior Analyst, Institute of Strategic and International Studies, Kuala Lumpur; and Political and Diplomatic Writer, New Straits Times, Kuala Lumpur. Her book, Islamic Revivalism in Malaysia: Dakwah Among the Students, has become a standard reference in the study of Islam in Malaysia.
Zainah was educated at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Boston University and the MARA Institute of Technology, Malaysia, in the fields of international relations and journalism.
- Egypt: Press Release by the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders on the Appeal Verdict in the Case of Yara Sallam and Sanaa Seif
- Prominent Women Human Rights Defender Esraa Abdel-Fattah Banned From Traveling Outside Egypt
- Bangladesh: Government plans to relocate camps cause fear and anxiety among Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
- Malaysia: Muslim women's group Sisters in Islam gain judicial review of 'deviants' fatwa
- North Africa: Racism, sexism and violence against sub-Saharan African migrant women
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Mapping Stoning in Muslim Contexts
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- WSF: The rise of fundamentalism and the role of the ‘state’ in the specific political context of Palestine