Malaysia: Popular English daily "New Straits Times" has withdrawn the columns of social activist Zainah Anwar
Source: Reporters Without Borders
21 August 2007
Zainah Anwar is key to the high public profile of Sisters in Islam. She has been the public face of SIS and gives public talks on Islam and women's rights, politics and fundamental liberties, nationally and internationally.
Her other work experience includes: Chief Programme Officer, Political Affairs Division, Commonwealth Secretariat, London; Freelance Writer; Senior Analyst, Institute of Strategic and International Studies, Kuala Lumpur; and Political and Diplomatic Writer, New Straits Times, Kuala Lumpur. Her book, Islamic Revivalism in Malaysia: Dakwah Among the Students, has become a standard reference in the study of Islam in Malaysia.
Zainah was educated at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Boston University and the MARA Institute of Technology, Malaysia, in the fields of international relations and journalism.
- Egyptian activist Mahinour El-Masry arrested again
- Sudan: Surge in Detention, Beatings, Around Elections
- Missing female Sudanese rights activist found beaten in street
- Egypt: Women's rights activist among 17 facing spurious charges in security forces' 'cover up'
- Bahrain: Authorities continue to target women’s rights defender Ghada Jamsheer
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Mapping Stoning in Muslim Contexts
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- WSF: The rise of fundamentalism and the role of the ‘state’ in the specific political context of Palestine