Kyrgyzstan: Kyrgyzstan removes ban on head scarves in passport photographs
Earlier this year, authorities in neighboring Kazakhstan made a similar ruling allowing women to be photographed with headwear for their identification documents.
20 August 2007
(II): "Azerbaijan Should Use Kyrgyzstan’s Example in Restoring Rights of Muslim Women: Law Observer"
The Chairman of the Centre for Protection of Religious Freedoms (DEVAMM) and law observer, Ilgar Ibrahimoglu, welcomes the elimination of the ban on taking photos of women with the hijab (headscarf) for passports which was enforced for Muslim women in Kyrgyzstan.
The ban was imposed in 2004 but after discussions the Government of Kyrgyzstan eliminated the ban and permitted Muslim women to take passport photos while wearing the hijab. The ban was ceased by the inter-departmental commission established in January. The commission includes representatives of the State Agency for Information Resources and Technologies, the Justice Ministry, the Interior Ministry, and the Foreign Ministry of Kyrgyzstan.
Commenting on the decision of the Government of Kyrgyzstan, Ibrahimoglu said that Azerbaijan should also follow this precedent and restore the constitutional rights of religious women.
“The Muslim women who wear the headscarf have faced the same problem and were deprived of many of their civil and political rights. There is not such a ban in the international law and it is assessed as a direct violation of religious freedom,” Ibrahimoglu said. Amongst former Soviet countries, such a ban has been lifted in Russia and Kyrgyzstan.
Source: Trend News Agency
22 August 2007
- SUDAN CHRISTIAN WOMAN MERIAM IBRAHIM & FAMILY ARRIVE IN ITALY & MEET WITH POPE FRANCIS
- Letter to Obama Administration on Egyptian State Violations of Human Rights
- EIPR shocked by continued detention of 23 defendants including an awarded human rights defender
- Press Release on the arrest and detention of Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Sudan: Woman condemned to death released after international pressure
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- KURDISH WOMAN LOSING SIGHT IN IRANIAN PRISON
- URGENT ACTION NEEDED: INNOCENT SUDANESE MOTHER WILL FACE PUBLIC FLOGGING AND EXECUTION, SIHA CONDEMNS TODAY'S RULING IN HAJ YOUSIF COURT IN KHARTOUM