UK: Mother and son from Sikh family jailed for "honour" killing
Bachan, a mother of six and grandmother of 16, ordered Surjit's death at a family meeting after discovering that her daughter-in-law, a customs officer at Heathrow airport, had been having an affair and wanted a divorce. It was years before frightened relatives approached police and gave them the evidence they needed to charge Bachan and Sukhdave, Surjit's husband. The pair, both of Willow Tree Lane, Hayes, west London, were found guilty in July of the murder of Surjit, who today would have been 36.
The judge, Giles Forrester, said: "The pair of you decided that the so-called honour of your family members was worth more than the life of this young woman. "You, Bachan, were head of that family. I have no doubt you exercised a controlling influence over other family members."
Surjit's brother, Jagdeesh Singh, praised the efforts of the police but said there had been "failings" in the UK and India, and called for a public inquiry into the killing of his sister and that of Banaz Mahmod, a Kurdish woman murdered by her father and uncle. "The name Surjit means to rewaken and re-enliven," he said. "May your name, my sister, continue to burn brightly for all those silent victims and protect future victims from the same."
19 September 2007
- Soudan du Sud : des milliers de femmes réduites en esclavage et violées par des soldats
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- India arrest 16 for beheading woman for 'witchcraft'
- Domestic violence in Turkey reaches boiling point
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region: