Egypt: Update on government closure of the Association for Human Rights Legal Aid
The AHRLA has appealed against the government’s decision to an administrative court, which is due to rule on the appeal on 21 October 2007. In the meantime the AHRLA is considered to be officially dissolved."
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send appeals to arrive as quickly as possible, in Arabic, English or your own language:
- expressing concern that the Cairo city government has taken action to close down the AHRLA and halt its activities in support of victims of torture and other ill-treatment;
- calling on the authorities to rescind immediately the decision to close down the AHRLA, and lift any restrictions imposed on it, so it can continue to provide much-needed assistance in defence of human rights;
- urging the authorities to respect AHRLA’s right to free association, as set out in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights and the UN Declaration on human rights defenders
Dr Ali El-Sayed Al-Moselhi
Minister of Social Solidarity
Ministry of Social Solidarity
19 Al Maraghy Street
Al Agouza, Giza
Fax: +20 23 5917799
Tel: +20 22 7956387
Salutation: Dear Minister
Governor Dr Abd Elazem Morsy Wazir
7 Gomhoreya Square
Fax: +20 22 391 1335
Salutation: Dear Governor
and to diplomatic representatives of Egypt accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 5 November 2007.
24 September 2007
Source: Amnesty International
To read background information on Egypt's NGOs law, please see the report by Human Rights Watch on their website: http://hrw.org/reports/2005/egypt0705/egypt0705.pdf
- Egypt: update 18 dead, 52 injured on January 25 anniversary
- Article 11: feminists negotiating power in Egypt
- Bangladesh: Government plans to relocate camps cause fear and anxiety among Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.
- North Africa: Racism, sexism and violence against sub-Saharan African migrant women
- Egypt’s first female genital mutilation trial ends in not guilty verdict
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- KURDISH WOMAN LOSING SIGHT IN IRANIAN PRISON
- URGENT ACTION NEEDED: INNOCENT SUDANESE MOTHER WILL FACE PUBLIC FLOGGING AND EXECUTION, SIHA CONDEMNS TODAY'S RULING IN HAJ YOUSIF COURT IN KHARTOUM
- Urgent Call to Denounce Sudanese State Violence
- Sudan: Darfuri Activist in Detention for 6 months without charges!
- Reclaiming the Streets for Women’s Dignity: Effective Initiatives in the Struggle against Gender-Based Violence in between Egypt’s Two Revolutions
- The Politics of Mobilising for Gender Justice in Egypt from Mubarak to Morsi and Beyond
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Egypt: Combined sixth and seventh periodic reports to CEDAW
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship