Saudi Arabia: UPDATE: Saudis back lashing sentence of a raped woman
The 19-year-old, who has not been named, was travelling in a car with a male friend last year, when the car was attacked by a gang of seven men who raped both of them.
She has become known as the "Qatif girl", a reference to the largely Shia town which she comes from. Four of the men were convicted of kidnapping - but the court also sentenced the woman and her friend to receive 90 lashes each for the crime of "illegal mingling".
Last week the court increased the woman's sentence to 200 lashes and six months in prison.
It also banned her lawyer from the courtroom and took away his licence.
The Saudi justice ministry has defended the verdict and warned against "agitation through the media" - a sign of how sensitive the authorities are to the fact that the woman and her lawyer have sought to use the media to highlight the case, says BBC Middle East analyst Roger Hardy.
Meanwhile, Mrs Clinton, the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination in the US presidential elections, strongly condemned the Saudi sentence. "The Bush administration has refused to condemn the sentence and said it will not protest against an internal Saudi decision," she said. "I urge President Bush to call on King Abdullah to cancel the ruling and drop all charges against this woman. As president I will once again make human rights an American priority around the world." A State Department spokesman on Tuesday called the verdict "astonishing".
The US-based Human Rights Watch said it sends victims of sexual violence the message that they should not press charges.
21 November 2007
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan