Sudan: Irish imams denouce teacher's arrest in Sudan
Indeed it has been clear from the outset that Ms Gibbon did not in anyway desire to malign the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and that the choice of name for the teddy bear had come from the children themselves. The only thing to come from this affair is for the name of Islam to be dragged through the mud yet again by bigots.
For Muslims across the world, education is of paramount importance particularly because the Prophet Muhammad himself commanded Muslims to seek knowledge wherever they can. Ms Gibbons was indeed a part of such a noble tradition of teaching others and we are appalled by her treatment and note that Sudanese Courts do not speak for true Islam, or Muslims in Ireland and Europe.
We are saddened that the Muslim world is silent on issues such as these and the punishment of the Saudi girl, but they are quick to issue decrees to justify and appease their political rulers. We call on the Azhar, who does not hesitate to issue decrees to appease Hosni Mubarak, and the Saudi scholars to forth-rightly condemn such unbecoming behaviour.
We also call on the Sudanese regime to resolve the Darfur crisis rather than concerning themselves with teddy bears."
Sheikh (Prof) Shaheed Satardien
Supreme Muslim Council of Ireland
Mohammed Al Kabour
Tel: +353 419812048
Sheikh (Prof.) Shaheed Satardien
Tel: +353 1 8218485
- South Sudan: UNICEF warns women and children being victimized ‘with frightening regularity’
- Afghan clerics uneasy as civil rights movement gains momentum
- Aceh Prepares to Enforce Broader Sharia Criminal Code, With Stiffer Penalties
- “Good Iranian Women Don’t Watch Sports”
- Sudan: Surge in Detention, Beatings, Around Elections
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- URGENT ACTION NEEDED: INNOCENT SUDANESE MOTHER WILL FACE PUBLIC FLOGGING AND EXECUTION, SIHA CONDEMNS TODAY'S RULING IN HAJ YOUSIF COURT IN KHARTOUM
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- URGENT ACTION: Sudan: Two Sudanese Activists At Risk Of Flogging
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Women Building Peace
- Nuba: Victims and Heroes - Women Struggle in Two Years of War
- Dossier 30-31: The Struggle for Secularism in Europe and North America
- CEDAW & MUSLIM FAMILY LAWS: In Search of Common Ground