Pakistan: HRCP Press Statement
HRCP salutes the courage of Benazir Bhutto who, in spite of threats to her life, continued to address public rallies and be close to the people. She demonstrated in life and in death her commitment to the revival of a democratic process in Pakistan."
Issued on behalf of the HRCP Council (governing body).
Asma Jahangir, Chairperson,
Iqbal Haider, HRCP Secretary General
Zohra Yusuf, HRCP Vice Chairperson, Sindh
Mr. I. A. Rehman - Director, Mr. Shahid Kardar -
Treasurer, Mr. Zahoor Ahmed Shahwani (Advocate) -
Vice-Chairperson Balochistan, Mr. Kamran Arif -
Vice-Chairperson NWFP, Ms. Hina Jilani -
Vice-Chairperson Punjab, and HRCP Council Members: Mrs. Surriya Amirrudin, Ms. Rahila Durrani, Mr. Tahir Husain Khan, Mr. Malik Adeel Mengal, Mr. Habib Tahir, Mr. Afrasiab Khattak, Advocate, Ms. Musarrat Hilali, Mr. Sher Mohammad Khan, Ms. Salima Hashmi, Dr. Mubashar Hasan, Dr. Mehdi Hasan, Air Marshal Zafar Chaudhry, Ms. Shahtaj Qizilbash, Mr. Nadeem Anthony, Mr. Attiq-ur-Rehman, Advocate, Ms. Uzma Noorani, Mr. Rochi Ram, Ms. Perveen Soomro (Advocate), Mr. Ali Hasan, Mr. Jam Saqi, Mr. Ronald de Souza, Mr. Ghazi Salahuddin, Mr. Amarnath Motumal, and Mr. Asad Iqbal Butt.
27 December 2007
- Darfur: amid allegations of mass rape, UN voices profound concern, begins investigation
- Efua Dorkenoo OBE, the ‘incredible African female warrior’, has died
- LHC upholds blasphemy convict Asia Bibi's death penalty
- Syrian conflict: Untold misery of child brides
- Cameroon - Speaking Up Against Rape Is Just One Part of the Solution
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region:
- Too Young to Wed
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences, Rashida Manjoo*
- Disposable Victims: Laws and Practices on Gender-related Killings of Women and Girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating