India: Violent attacks on Christians in Orissa
We would like to share a report on the personal account of Archbishop Cheenath himself, courtesy of the National Commission for Justice, Peace and Development (NCJPD) of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of India (CBCI), on his survey and analysis of the situation (http://www.acpp.org/downloads/080118orissa_report.pdf).
There is still great concern that even urgent relief work could not reach the victims and people continue to live in fear, as no attackers have been punished even though most of the attacks took place in front of the police. The state government has apparently failed to protect its people against Hindu fundamentalist groups, with local groups believe could continue to threaten religious minorities with the support of political parties.
In response, the NCJPD has issued an appeal (http://www.acpp.org/downloads/080118orissa_appeal.pdf) to all Bishops, Religious Superiors and Church personnel in India to urge them to respond to the issue through peace marches and signature campaigns.
In relation to this, NCJPD is also holding a Consultation on "Response to growing and widespread attacks on Christians in India" to review the present situation and to plan future course of action.
We hope that this information will give you better understanding on the background of the situation in Orissa, as well as violence against religious minorities in the country. With such background, we hope that you could reflect and take prompt action when you are called to respond to Urgent Appeals on this issue in the near future.
Thank you for your attention."
- Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML) condemns the harassment of Sri Lankan activist Sharmila Seyyid
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Position Statement on Apostasy and Blasphemy
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, Heiner Bielefeldt, Human Rights Council 28th Session
- Masculinity, Son Preference and Intimate Partner Violence (India)
- Dossier 30-31: The Struggle for Secularism in Europe and North America
- Towards a Future without Fundamentalisms