Afghanistan: UPDATE: Karzai intervenes in the case of Parwiz Kambakhsh
Parwiz’s brother Yaqub told Kabulpress today that he had asked the Supreme Court of Afghanistan to transfer the case from the northern province of Balkh to Kabul. The Court accepted and sent a letter to the Balkh court which asked them to stop the proceedings there. Next week the case will be moved to Kabul.
A Kabulpress source, very close to the Karzai administration, who asked not to be identified, said that President Karzai had asked Supreme Court Chief Justice, Abdul Salam Azimi, to find a solution for releasing Parwiz.
The source added: It was also mentioned that Afghanistan’s Attorney General Jabbar Sabit should tell the Balkh attorney Khaliq to cease all threats against journalists. Khaliq is the attorney who held a press conference and warned, “I will arrest all journalists who defend Parwiz Kambakhsh.”
31 January 2008
- Call for Iraqi Women Victimized by ISIS
- 'Stop the extreme group of monks called Bodu Bala Sena who ignites the religious hatred, enmity and violent oppressions in Srilanka
- NIGERIA: Bring back the abducted school girls of Chibok
- SIGN THE PETITION: President Hamid Karzai: We call on you not to sign the new Law on Criminal Procedures
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!