Iran: 14-Year-Old Stoned to Death by Father
Another daily newspaper, Etemad, reported a similar story with some differences. In this report, the 14 years old girl is identified as Somayeh, and the person helping Sharif is identified as Ghafour. This report doesn’t mention that the 14 years old girl was shot, but quoting the father says: "When we were taking her (somayeh) to the mountains, she was scared but still didn’t know what she was expecting. Upon arrival to the scheduled place, I threw Somayeh on the ground and started the stoning. She was screaming and begging for her life, but I had to save my honor and didn’t have any other choice than killing her....".
According to the report, Ghafour (the man who helped Sharif) had also invited other people to participate in the stoning. But it is not mentioned whether other people than Sharif and Ghafour took part in the stoning.
According to the human rights activists, the incidence of honor killings have increased in the past years in Iran.
Iranian authorities have stoned to death at least one man in 2007 and one woman in 2006. Several people are in the row to be stoned to death in different Iranian prisons. At least two women and one man are at imminent risk of death by stoning.
In 2004, Atefeh Sahaaleh Rajabi (16) was hanged in public in the town of Neka, convicted for "immoral" acts.
15 February 2008
- Afghanistan: Reject stoning, flogging, amputation and other Taliban-era punishments
- Public stoning consideration is latest setback for Afghan women's rights
- "160 Girls": Making legal history in the fight against sexual violence
- Trial of Sudanese activists charged with ‘indecent behaviour’ postponed
- Kyrgyzstan - The Kidnapped Bride
- URGENT ACTION: Sudan: Two Sudanese Activists At Risk Of Flogging
- Kenya: Protect girls by enforcing FGM and child marriage laws
- Urgent Action: Zahra and Ali in Imminent Danger of Stoning!
- Who Cares About Stoning? Online Photo Campaign
- STATEMENT FROM ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS IN SOLIDARITY WITH FEMALE EGYPTIAN ACTIVISTS
- Violence against Women, Bleeding Wound in the Syrian Conflict
- Masculinity, Son Preference and Intimate Partner Violence (India)
- Prevention of Trafficking in Human Beings Online
- Female Genital Mutliation/Cutting: A Statistical Overview and an Exploration of the Dynamics of Change
- Stop Stoning Women Now - Global Campaign Toolkit