Iran: 14-Year-Old Stoned to Death by Father
Another daily newspaper, Etemad, reported a similar story with some differences. In this report, the 14 years old girl is identified as Somayeh, and the person helping Sharif is identified as Ghafour. This report doesn’t mention that the 14 years old girl was shot, but quoting the father says: "When we were taking her (somayeh) to the mountains, she was scared but still didn’t know what she was expecting. Upon arrival to the scheduled place, I threw Somayeh on the ground and started the stoning. She was screaming and begging for her life, but I had to save my honor and didn’t have any other choice than killing her....".
According to the report, Ghafour (the man who helped Sharif) had also invited other people to participate in the stoning. But it is not mentioned whether other people than Sharif and Ghafour took part in the stoning.
According to the human rights activists, the incidence of honor killings have increased in the past years in Iran.
Iranian authorities have stoned to death at least one man in 2007 and one woman in 2006. Several people are in the row to be stoned to death in different Iranian prisons. At least two women and one man are at imminent risk of death by stoning.
In 2004, Atefeh Sahaaleh Rajabi (16) was hanged in public in the town of Neka, convicted for "immoral" acts.
15 February 2008
- Taliban Stone Woman To Death For Eloping
- Keeping Activist Bahareh Hedayat in Prison is Against the Law Says Legal Expert
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- India arrest 16 for beheading woman for 'witchcraft'
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan