Iran: 14-Year-Old Stoned to Death by Father
Another daily newspaper, Etemad, reported a similar story with some differences. In this report, the 14 years old girl is identified as Somayeh, and the person helping Sharif is identified as Ghafour. This report doesn’t mention that the 14 years old girl was shot, but quoting the father says: "When we were taking her (somayeh) to the mountains, she was scared but still didn’t know what she was expecting. Upon arrival to the scheduled place, I threw Somayeh on the ground and started the stoning. She was screaming and begging for her life, but I had to save my honor and didn’t have any other choice than killing her....".
According to the report, Ghafour (the man who helped Sharif) had also invited other people to participate in the stoning. But it is not mentioned whether other people than Sharif and Ghafour took part in the stoning.
According to the human rights activists, the incidence of honor killings have increased in the past years in Iran.
Iranian authorities have stoned to death at least one man in 2007 and one woman in 2006. Several people are in the row to be stoned to death in different Iranian prisons. At least two women and one man are at imminent risk of death by stoning.
In 2004, Atefeh Sahaaleh Rajabi (16) was hanged in public in the town of Neka, convicted for "immoral" acts.
15 February 2008
- My wife was murdered by a 'monster' – but most perpetrators of violence are normal men
- Universal Periodic Review: JFI Submission on Human Rights Abuses Based on Sex, Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
- MEET A DEFENDER: DR ISATOU TOURAY
- Tougher Action Urged on Kazakstan "Bride-Theft"
- Iran says woman sentenced to stoning given "leave" from prison
- Iraq: Don’t Legalize Marriage for 9-Year-Olds
- A Former Child Bride is Hanged and Denied Her Last Wish to See Her Daughter
- URGENT: Maldives: Sex without Consent is always Rape
- To the British Government: Work with Dubai's government to free Afsana!
- URGENT ACTION: Iran: A former child bride faces execution by hanging
- Stoning: Legal or Practised in 16 Countries and Showing No Signs of Abating
- 35 Years of Forced Hijab: The Widespread and Systematic Violation of Women's Rights in Iran
- Factsheet: Violence Against Women - the Missing MDG?
- Child, early and forced marriage in Pakistan: A submission to OHCHR
- Early and Forced Marriage in the Islamic Republic of Iran