Egypt: First Women to Conduct Marriages in Egypt
Sheikh Fawsi Zafzaf, director of Al-Azhar University in Cairo, responded to Soliman's appointment stating, "There are no religious texts banning a Muslim woman from being a maazun. But when a woman is menstruating she must not enter a mosque or read Koranic verses and that will affect her job, so for that reason we say it is not advisable to have a woman maazun."
Solima focuses on the positive affects her gender can have on her job. She told the Gulf News after being appointed first woman maazun, "I will be in a better position than my male counterparts to listen to women facing marriage difficulties and assist them and their partners in resolving their differences."
Shawkiya Rawash, a woman in her 50's, told the AFP, "Why not support women? If she can be an example to follow, if she manages to do her job well, why not? I'm in favor."
Media Resources: BBC News 02/28/08; Gulf News 02/29/08; AFP 02/29/08
- Forbidden from riding bikes, fearless Afghan girls are skateboarding around Kabul
- Surge in sexual abuse by Egypt authorities, report says
- Egyptian activist Mahinour El-Masry arrested again
- Swat Woman Of Courage Gets Sisters' Council To Speak Up
- Women up in Arms: Zapatistas and Rojava Kurds Embrace a New Gender Politics
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Arbitrary Arrests and Detention of Women Human Rights Defenders
- Feminist Movement Builder's Dictionary
- Reclaiming the Streets for Women’s Dignity: Effective Initiatives in the Struggle against Gender-Based Violence in between Egypt’s Two Revolutions
- The Politics of Mobilising for Gender Justice in Egypt from Mubarak to Morsi and Beyond
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- Women's Rights and Transitions to Democracy: An Annotated Bibliography