Israel: Man sentenced to 16 years imprisonment for 'honour' killing
But after the killing of Hamda, about 20 female relatives decided to speak up, among them Amama Abu Ghanem, the mother of Hamda and of Rashad, the brother now sentenced to jail.
The case against Rashad ended in a plea bargain, and not a full murder conviction, largely because a key witness, identified by police only as Y for her own protection, disappeared about a year ago.
Before her disappearance, Y had told police that she had seen Rashad entering the family's apartment then fleeing from it shortly before Hamda's body was found. In the absence of Y, the court allowed the statement she had made to the police to be used as evidence against Rashad. Evidence of a shooting was also found on Rashad's clothes.
By: Isabel Kershner
4 March 2008
- Soudan du Sud : des milliers de femmes réduites en esclavage et violées par des soldats
- With Her Father On Death Row, Afghan Mother Attempts To Put Decade Of Incest, Abuse Behind Her
- Afghan shelter provides security for abused women
- India arrest 16 for beheading woman for 'witchcraft'
- Domestic violence in Turkey reaches boiling point
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Violence against Women in the context of Political Transformations and Economic Crisis in the Euro-Mediterranean Region: