Pakistan: Woman abducted and gang raped by guards
The mausoleum is under the tight control of the three arm forces of Pakistan and there have been many reported cases of rape and sexual harassment of women. It is due to this that the people of Karachi are avoiding visiting the mausoleum. It is believed that the police and city administration are not willing to conduct investigations and arrest the offenders as the suspected rapists are guards from armed forces personnel. They are now putting pressure on the family of the victim not to pursue the case.
This is a shocking incident and the attitude of the city government of Karachi city in trying to tone down the incident is deplorable. An enquiry into this incident should immediately be instituted and the perpetrators arrested and prosecuted forthwith. The victim must be provided with protection, all medical assistance and compensation.
Many reports regarding rape are received from Pakistan. Women’s organisations in particular have often spoken out about this. However, the authorities in the country do not show much concern to deal with this serious crime. The rape done by personnel of the armed forces is an even greater problem. In this particular case a family went for a visit to a national monument and the woman was raped within its premises after being abducted. We particularly urge the Ministry of Women’s Development to inquire into this case and take appropriate action.
March 19, 2008
A Statement by the Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC-STM-073-2008)
- Recommendations for action against gender-related killing of women and girls
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Addendum to the Report of the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences
- Afghanistan: Their lives on the line: Women human rights defenders under attack in Afghanistan
- Shirkat Gah Newsheet March 2015