Turkey: Former MP jailed for voicing pro-Kurdish sentiments
This was Turkey's response to the recent decision by the European Union's second highest court, the Court of First Instance of Luxemburg, to remove the PKK from the list of terrorist organizations.
And yet another attempt to silence the voice of Leyla Zana, one of the most prominent individuals working for peace between the Kurdish and Turkish peoples, who has already served 10 years in Turkish prisons, from 1994 to 2004.
Leyla Zana has demonstrated to the world to be a woman of extraordinary courage who has always been firmly convinced of the need for dialog.
We will continue to support Leyla Zana, "peace prisoner," and her right to freedom and we call upon the European Parliament, who awarded Zana the Sakharov Prize for human rights in 1995, to stop the brutal escalation by the more reactionary political forces in Turkey, responsible for violence and repressive acts during the recent Newroz celebrations as well as numerous legal proceedings against Kurdish mayors and political exponents.
We call on Europe to use the negotiations with Ankara for entry into the European Union as an opportunity to express strong condemnation for an unjust sentence against Leyla Zana.
We call on Italy to give full priority to the respect of human rights over interests of the market by supporting the request for a moratorium on the sale of Italian weapons to Turkey."
Donne In Nero (Women in Black)
Italy, 12 aprile 2008
- Egyptian activist Mahinour El-Masry arrested again
- Sudan: Surge in Detention, Beatings, Around Elections
- Missing female Sudanese rights activist found beaten in street
- Egypt: Women's rights activist among 17 facing spurious charges in security forces' 'cover up'
- Bahrain: Authorities continue to target women’s rights defender Ghada Jamsheer
- Egypt: Judicial harassment of Ms. Azza Soliman
- Please acquit and release Asia Bibi
- Over 220 Global Organizations Call for Immediate Release of Seven Imprisoned Women Human Rights Defenders in Egypt
- Send your support to Yara Sallam and other human rights defenders imprisoned in Egypt
- URGENT: Join the international campaign against Egypt’s repressive protest law!
- Egypt: #noprotestlaw campaign abridged toolkit
- No One is Safe: Abuses of Women in Iraq's Criminal Justice System
- Control and Sexuality: The Revival of Zina Laws in Muslim Contexts
- Everyone's Guide to By-passing Internet Censorship
- WSF: The rise of fundamentalism and the role of the ‘state’ in the specific political context of Palestine