Fiji: Women Reclaim the Night & Call for End to Sexual Violence
"While we call for safe streets, we'd like to remind people that most women do not feel safe in their own homes." "We know many sexual assaults take place in homes as well so we need to remind people that sexual assault should not be tolerated in public or private domain," she said.
Ms Ali said at least one in five women around the world had experienced rape or attempted rape in their life, with most sexual offenders known to the victim and were often trusted family members.
The centre has been organising the Reclaim the Night march since the mid-1990s. A similar march was held in Nadi recently. This year's theme is Financing for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
"To this day we continue to struggle for women's rights and we call for a society that upholds the rights of women and all citizens through democracy and the rule of law," the centre said.
8 March 2008
Source: Fiji Times
- New Feminist Leadership Web Portal Offers Online Home to All Generations of Activists
- Striving for Gender Justice: Overcoming Obstacles
- Laughter and Learning in the Sun: Feminist Leadership Workshops in West Africa
- Ziauddin Yousafzai My daughter, Malala
- WLUML Feminist Leadership Workshop Underway in Banjul
- Update: Intisar Sharif Abdallah Released Unconditionally without Further Charge
- Rights Must Be At the Center of the Family Planning Summit: Civil Society Declaration
- Update: Iran: Alieh Eghamdoust released from prison after serving three year sentence
- UK: Appeal for Expressions of Solidarity with Dr Usama Hasan
- Algeria: Ongoing massacres of women: Call on authorities to ensure protection of women in Hassi Messaoud!
- Women's Rights and Transitions to Democracy: An Annotated Bibliography
- WLUML E-Gazette, 5th Edition
- GENDER EQUALITY AND FOOD SECURITY: Women’s Empowerment as a Tool against Hunger
- Untying the Knot - Exploring Early Marriage in Fragile States
- Gender-Sensitive Indicators for Media: Indicators to Gauge Gender Sensitivity in Media Operations and Content